Zymol Problem

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by David Fermani, Mar 9, 2008.

1. David Fermani

David Fermani DB Certified Manufacturer

I've been experiencing a frustrating problem with my Zymol Carbon lately. It appears that after thoroughly removing it, it still seems to be returning later oily and "sweating". I do each panel individually, apply a very thin coat and even after buffing the surface several times extensively, later there's an oily film residue coming back? After wiping it again, it comes back several minutes later. It's really only obvious on solid black. I've had this problem occur in conjunction when topping sealants, on it's own, used chilled, at room temp, after buffing and as a stand alone and have also let it dry/cure for up to 12 hours. I can't figure it out. I called Zymol and spoke to someone named David and he wasn't of any help. I'm getting to the point where I don't feel comfortable using it any more. I've probably used about 1/3 of the jar and I didn't have this problem at the beginning of its life cycle. It's always kept refrigerated, and has never been frozen. Could it be a bad batch or am I maybe doing something wrong?

When using it in conjunction with a sealant, after the sealant is removed there isn't this problem. It's after the application of Zymol.

2. Nica

Nica Banned

Well I've only used Carbon once or so but that "sweating" your refering too is exactly that, you need to give the vehicle a Field Glaze final wipe down after a few hours or so to remove the sweating it does. Any time I use a Zymol wax I always follow up with the Field Glaze and it makes a huge difference..well just my opinion though...hope it helps.

3. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

Ive never had the Carbon "sweat" on me before. I doubt theres enough oil in the low end wax to do that!

4. DieselMDX

DieselMDX Obsessive Detailer

i also finish all my high end waxes with FG

5. LanceM

LanceM DB Forum Supporter

hows that working out for you? I thought about using it with concorso

6. DieselMDX

i used it the other day after using concorso luckily i had some sun to allow the car to sit in while i cleaned the glass then when the customer was on his way i used FG to remove some fingerprints and what not. It did not change the wetness but deff brightned the shine and made the finish super slick.

I dont use it on anyhting but my sw/zymol/victoria waxes

7. Nica

Nica Banned

oooh you used it on Victoria too..mmm...nice..cant say I've used Field Glass on anything but Zymol...nice thanks for sharing DieselMDX :thumb:

8. DieselMDX

anyhting with a high nuba content i use it on IMO it is my best qd so i use it on my best waxes :)

9. David Fermani

David Fermani DB Certified Manufacturer

Thanks for the advice. Do you think it's strange that if correcting this problem is as easy as using their Field Glaze, why didn't the Zymol's rep suggest using it? Makes me question their abilities slightly?

10. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I've had this issue as well with certain waxes. It has to do with the temperature of your environment along with the humidity.

11. Nica

Nica Banned

Well yes and no, Zymol has produced many products over the year that certain reps have never even heard of for example the HD Cleanse with 10% Quartz Crystal (sorry if I spelled it wrong) is something that Zymol produced in the 90's and like HD Cleanse Professional is now discontinued and not to many reps let a lone Zymol enthusiast know about it. The Quartz Crystal product is very good and like the HD Pro, it's a shame they have discontinued them but as far as Field Glaze goes that should be (what I consider) common knowledge..but that's just me :shurg:

12. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Park the newly waxed vehicle in the sun (or heated garage) and wait three to four hours, to ensure all the solvents have outgased (evaporated) and then lightly buff the paint again to perfect the shine, you’ll notice both the chroma (intensity level or richness of a colour) and a deepening of the shine, then lightly buff the paint again to perfect the gloss.

13. Nica

Nica Banned

Funny you should mention this togwt as Swissvax Divine recomend you do the exact same thing you'r suggesting here. I'm going to give this a try and see how it works, very interesting :thumb:

14. wise 85

wise 85 Virgin Detailer

Remember that Carnauba is naturaly 'Hygroscopic'.The 'sweating' is a natural characteristic of most 'high end' waxes with a high Carnauba % by volume.

Zymol Carbon is a very nicely balanced product,in terms of Carnauba% to oil content.The 'Sweating' characteristic will still be apparent after application,but the effect will not be as pronounced as when using Concours,or Vintage, for example.Carbon is blended/cooked with Yarrow because of this herbs ability to absorb moisture,thus(in theory) making application easier in moderate/high humidity environments.

15. Tampa-Brian

Tampa-Brian Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Sounds like you might be putting it on thick.

16. DieselMDX

good info!

17. MrPolished&Waxed

MrPolished&Waxed Obsessive Detailer

bringing this one back from the dead, good info here on some nice characteristics of a cheap wax