Zenith technique for PC?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by bwanderson79, Nov 14, 2009.

1. bwanderson79

bwanderson79 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I have read numerous posts and articles about the Zenith technique for rotaries, but I am wondering if this technique is necessary for a PC or any other DA? All I have right now is 7424XP and I will be purchasing a Makita within the next month, but until I have learned to use it on my own cars, the PC is all I have, but I am not sure if speed adjustment is necessary when compounding, finishing, or using a one step such as 203. Any thoughts?

2. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

If I am using my pc, I will spread the product at 2, then run it up to 5 and proceed until the polish has broken down. I don't slow it down at or near the end of polishing.

3. bwanderson79

bwanderson79 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Thanks again for your advice. That will probably save me some time that I may have been wasting, since I was slowing it down a bit after the polish had gone clear.

4. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

I have always spread polish around 2-2.5, polish at 6 and then keep it at 6 till its broken down and that's it. I did experiment with bringing it down to 4.5-5 right when it close to being done but didn't see any noticeable difference.

5. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Random Orbital Polisher

Slow Hand method - (apologies to Eric C) using a random orbital polisher, Menzerna Final Finish (PO 106 FF) and a LC White CCS foam pad - this polish is formulated with very finely milled micro diminishing abrasives that allows for a consistent breakdown and thus a consistent micro marring free finish
    • Start at speed # 4, move the pad slowly across the area, then speed # 5, without any pressure, when the polish starts to go clear, spray the pad with distilled water, reduce to speed # 4, then spray pad again, increase to speed # 5 and apply pressure.
    • Apply polish at a machine linear speed (MLS) of approximately 0.25 to 0.5-inch per second for each 2-foot x 2-foot panel (hence ‘slow hand’) Burnish paint surface using an ultra-fine (100 PPI) finishing, primed foam pad (LC Black Finessing CCS Foam pad) this method is time consuming but the results are well worthwhile.

6. EbbeJ

EbbeJ Jedi Nuba

After testing the Zenith method on a G220 and a flex XC 3401VRG, a friend and I agreed that it could leave hologram-looking clouds in the paint if finishing slow on a DA/Orbital. Try it on a scrap panel some day:)

Kind regards,

Ebbe