Zaino & Duragloss?

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by Erik Mejia, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Rennes

Rennes Jedi Nuba

GDAL, which QD are you refering too in the DG line?

2. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Thanks for starting this Thread Erik, you just saved me money as I had been thinking about trying DG. If it looks anywhere near Zaino, that's definitely not something I'll be buying.

3. richy

richy Guest

I tried Zaino years ago (I still have a tiny bit left somewhere). I found the DG products much easier to use. The ZFX crap was lame. DG is run by 2 brothers, both of whom are brilliant PHD chemists. They have invented all of their own formulas. They take their lab work very, very seriously.

4. domino

domino Welcome to Detailing

agreed the ZFX is OLD!! technology in the days of Opti-Seal, PowerLock, Project Awesome, etc

i only use my Z-AIO these days, and as a cleaner only

5. RNickolas

RNickolas Obsessive Detailer

fast clean & shine

6. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

I agree - often what is considered by some to be ‘the best wax or sealant’ is either due to brand loyalty and / or an emotive response.

7. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Thanks!!

8. Rennes

Rennes Jedi Nuba

Thanks guys ;)

9. Erik Mejia

Erik Mejia Obsessive Detailer

No problem, the reason I started this thread is because I have both Zaino Z-5, and DG 105 and they both smell, and perform very similarly. I've also used Zaino Z-16 tire gloss and was told that it's a relabeled formulation of DG 253. Now, I don't care if the products are the same, but if they are, I'd think it would be nice to know, that way some of us can save a buck or two, and not purchase products whose formulations have been tweaked slightly, and slapped with a new label. Example: Zaino Z-5 is $16.95USD for 8oz of product when DG105 is $10.99USD for twice that amount. Now maybe Zaino did have the forumulation tweaked to meet his needs, but if the wax will perform almost identically, I'd rather get more bang for my hard earned buck.

DG 253 is 19oz for 9.29USD

Zaino Z-16 is 16oz for 12.95USD

All prices are those listed on the products official web page, and do not include tax.

By the way, I'm not bashing Zaino, regardless of who makes their product, its still a nice product line. I'm just trying to save a buck or two, and don't want to have products that have been relabeled.

10. Anthony

Anthony Birth of a Detailer

as noted this will rage on and on so in the end it really doesn't matter because the wise shopper will go with what works and is most cost effective for her or him.........BUT it is odd that I have never sen a picture of the "Zaino Labs" nor a picture of Sal Zaino (do a Google search) so I find that odd. Of all the car shows and car events there is nothing with Sal Zaino as far as I can find.

Duragloss was formed by 2 brothers, Zaino is or was called "Zaino Bros." Zaino has a product line which emulates or is in close relation to Duragloss products. In the states Zaino has Clear Seal and in Europe I am told Duragloss has the same type of product.

Packaging is the same on many of the labels as are warning labels. It goes on and on.

Just all odd coincidence or is there more to it? Everyone likes a good conspiracy so it's all in fun and if true genius marketing!!

11. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Just buy Duragloss and keep some money in your pocket. I will not be without DG in my arsenal. I love 501, 105, 111, FC&S, and Aquawax. probablya bunch of other products that are amazing too, those are just the ones I've tried.

I've never bought Zaino. No desire to. Not that I don't think it's a good product, but my results with DG products keep me from investing in what could be very similar products, but at a higher price.

12. pektel

Oh, FYI: The Duragloss "brothers" are/were William and Jerry Bailley.

13. ahwil_lim

ahwil_lim Wax on..Wax off

do you have both products? do any comparison between them?

14. Bunky

Bunky Guest

I had contacted Duragloss to see if I could get a plant tour. They said no due to confidentiality. My guess DG (like Meg's, Mothers, Optimum)does chemist support and contract manufacturing for other suppliers.

15. pektel

My suspicion is that Sal Zaino originally contracted the Bailey brothers to formulate the Zaino line. But then the Bailey brothers went out on their own. I do not know the age of Zaino products though. Everyone of course knows that Brothers Research group was founded in 1975.

16. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

I have both DG105 and a few Zaino products, and I've gone through most of the Zaino line. I don't find Zaino and DG105 to have any similarities in appearance.

DG105 is a little bit darker and tries to look more like a wax. Zaino is a bright, glossy shine with not much depth. DG105 is much easier to buff off, as well.

17. pektel

Which Zaino product are you comparing it to? Z5?

18. ahwil_lim

ahwil_lim Wax on..Wax off

IMO, zaino keep changing n improve their formula since many claimed they (DG & Z) are very similar, wkakaka

19. pektel

When is the last time a Zaino formula was improved/modified? Innocent question, I don't keep up with Zaino much.

20. Anthony

Anthony Birth of a Detailer

Yep, we have done comparisons. Many have the same bottles, smells and instructions. Duragloss calls their waxes or sealants "polishes" as does Zaino but again those are just things that make you go "Hmmmm".

Now in terms of use we didn't notice anything between the 2 lines that would differ them greatly. They worked just fine, both lines. Duragloss is easier to get and costs less.