Your top 5 time-savers??! (Product or tools)

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by InsanePaint, Mar 14, 2013.

1. InsanePaint

InsanePaint Pro Detailer

Insane Paint Auto Detailing is off to a running start. Things are good. Website, Facebook, Instagram, Business Cards, Networking, all of those things are moving along nicely. But what I'm trying to figure out now, from you pros (and I'd like it if some of you "elitist" shops would chime in), is what are some things in the past few years, that have saved you TIME? What tools or products have sped up your wash/dry process? Your polishing process? I'm trying to figure out how I can charge the same, but get done faster. And let me clarify, I'm a hard worker, I don't sit around and text or any other BS, so consider that a given. But I'm also a one-man show. Please give me your top 5 time-savers that you've experienced!! :thumb:

kamunnickuob97 likes this.
  2. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

Using my kid as free labor :)

3. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Probably the MOST important thing is to do every car the same way. By creating a system and using it day in and day out, you will get faster. You will only get so fast regardless of what systems, equipment and tools you use. Quality takes time. Period.

4. InsanePaint

InsanePaint Pro Detailer

Very True ^^ !!

5. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

The fastest switch I made was to ONR and the microfiber method (about 12 in 2 gallons of water and an empty bucket to chunk them in after each panel) It saved me a lot of set up time and the wash itself is very fast as well. I was coming off setting up a pressure washer, 2 buckets and this is just plain faster for me. Sure i dont get to do a foam bath and all that stuff but honestly if you are doing this for dollars, then getting the car clean (while safely) is what your bottom line is all about, all that other stuff is for enthusiasts to enjoy the process. I am an enthusiast as well and i do miss that fun stuff, but with time stresses i really just want to get my truck clean.

As far as polishes go, find some heavy compounds that are known to leave great finishes after a heavy hitting step. Like M105 or M101 then find a nice mid range polish like Menzerna PowerFinish, HD polish, or even M205 that can enhance the finish and do the little bit of necessary clean up and make most finishes up to your standard after 2 steps. I did the detailing for a living thing for about 2 years before getting into medical school and i was hard pressed to find anyone willing to pay for a 3+ step correction, maybe you can, so by all means jewel the hell out of it if you can. If not, i think the majority of your customers will be pleased with what a good detailer can do with the right products and 2 steps.

I think if you look into those nanoskin pads for clay that could save some time as well, as well as being cost efficient, i havent used them as i have a lot of clay left but they claim it saves quite a bit of time.

I hope that helped some, and i in no way meant to encourage you to skimp on polishing, i just think you can do great work in 2 steps with the right machine (i used a flex DA). Hopefully that came across.

6. InsanePaint

InsanePaint Pro Detailer

Thanks J Bell...!! :)
    What's ONR & microfiber method??

Currently using two steps on all vehicles, so good there. I get what you're saying.

I can't bring myself to use the nanoskin towels in place of clay.....I've seen what those things do to a finish. I wish NOT to create more work for myself in POLISHING, only to speed up clay, lol.....

7. 604_Snooze

604_Snooze Obsessive Detailer

maybe J Bell is talking about the Garry Dean's wash method and the perfect wash method

8. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Compounds like 105 and MenzFG400 can be finished down LSP ready ( on most paints ) if you learn to work them properly. 99% of my polishing jobs are one steps as I do a lot of daily drivers where clients aren't willing to spend the big dollars. As for the Nanoskin towels, you can keep them. Like Chase said, I find them to mar the paint, even after a few uses.

9. InsanePaint

InsanePaint Pro Detailer

Bingo ^^ :)

10. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

+1 on this :) I enjoy claying call me weird.

11. daveinsweethome

daveinsweethome DB Forum Supporter

masterblaster, tornado cleaner, electrostatic clay mitts, tylenol at days end

12. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

Yes i am. Chase you could look at autopia for his video on it but the concept isnt new, i can honestly say that i have done that before ever knowing who that guy was.

13. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Keep it simple, don't go "product" crazy because 90% of all products out there are duplication...... find what works, find a system that is efficient and use it.

I get tempted all the time with the latest and greatest, but find that when it comes down to it, what I am doing now works great.

Im like ken, the majority of my polishing is single step........ Keep it simple.

14. InsanePaint

InsanePaint Pro Detailer

Got it boys. Thanks. :)

15. ModdedMach

ModdedMach Birth of a Detailer

I recently bought a Nanoskin wash mitt. Its strange. I used it on a Jetblack BMW, it did mar the paint a bit, but the paint was of the SUPER soft kind, so it was kind of expected. The thing about the mitt is, if you use no pressure, it is pretty safe, but it takes forever to remove the contaminants, so you add a little pressure and it works faster but mars the paint.....ill need to play with it a bit more. Ill give it a go on my Mach 1, the paint is very average hardness. The plus is it does work super fast. but like you guys said. Clay is a bit safer. I find heavier duty clay works alot faster and isnt really any less safe for the paint.

Im not a seasoned pro like these guys, BUT, when i wash, i use a foamlance to foam and rinse, then refoam the car. Then wash the foam off, this accomplishes a couple things...
    1- Adds lubricity, less scratching
    2- The foam takes a long time to dry or run off the paint, so you can wash pretty much the whole car and only rinse one or 2 times, this helps save time and helps avoid water spotting.

i feel you on time tho. Claying is what takes forever. I did an Audi a3 a few weeks ago, wash, clay, nano coating. It took me right at 3 hours from start to finish. Not bad but i feel like it could be faster.

16. InsanePaint

InsanePaint Pro Detailer

I hear ya buddy. THANK YOU.

17. Dr Oldz

Dr Oldz Birth of a Detailer

I agree with Ken. A good detail takes time. If anything, at the end of each detail, take time to fill bottles up so they are ready for the next time.

18. ModdedMach

ModdedMach Birth of a Detailer

No problem man.

Thats the thing. Good details take time. I think doing it quickly comes with years of doing it. Id rather take a bit more time and produce a better result.

19. Mike Lambert

Mike Lambert Birth of a Detailer

I agree with all that has been said so far, a system is what has been working for me for 13 years. The one product I have found that save the most time is malco brake off. If you get the really nasty wheels, it will save you from doing multi step wheel cleaning. I have found that it will not damage calipers or wheels. It is aggressive so I only use it on the nasty ones. And you do not want it on your skin. Baked on dust will come off in sheets with just a rinse. Hope thishelps

20. Charlessog

Charlessog Banned

Great article.Much thanks again. Great. Gores