Your favorite backing plates and pads

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by TheJakeR, Jul 5, 2009.

1. d00t

d00t Welcome to Detailing

My favorite backing plates by far are the gloss-it. Super soft foam, unlike the 3M and RubbishBoys which are really stiff (but sometimes needed).

My favorite pads are the 3M UK. Even the "hated" green ones. I really need more =/

2. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

Was working on a detail this past weekend. I have a 3M BP and one from Ben, Rubbish Boys, (125mm versions)

I like them both, but like the Rubbish Boys one better, why? Unless it's just my specific 3M backing plate, but when screwing and unscrewing it from the rotary machine, about 3/4's of the way on, the 3M BP gets very tight, PITA actually.

The Rubbish Boys BP, I thread it, give it a whirl and it spins on all the way. I hadn't had any issues using it all weekend or since purchased. I have the smaller, 70mm BP also, and it does give some resistance while screwing it on, but not as much as my 3M unit.

I recommend the Rubbish Boys BP if I had to make the purchase again.

Oh yea.... I love the Uber Green pads. Menzerna PO203S, Makita, foam BP = AWESOME

3. Nica

Nica Banned

Can't say I have ever had anything like this :shead: is that a 3M UK backing plate? It looks a bit different then my backing plates :shead:

What machine were you using? Rotary or PC? Very, very odd, by no means am I a veteran detailer but I have a few years under my belt and have never seen this happen before.

4. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

I love that green pad. I think Ken is a big fan of it too. I was a little freaked out by it when I first took it out of the box, but once I used it, the light bulb came on.