Winter Chrome Rim Storage

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Smith2287, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Smith2287

Smith2287 Welcome to Detailing

Well guys its getting about that time of the year, time to take of my 35's and my chrome rims. Since in the winter I use the truck to snow plow with I put the stock tires and rims on for the season. All the weight and salt will destroy them and it is not worth it. My question is what should I do to prep the rims to store them in the garage for a few months. I was thinking of scrubbing the tires real well removing all the tire shine this way the dust isn't to hard to get off in the spring. As for the rims I was going to use some type of wheel cleaner to clean the fronts and the back real well. After they were clean I was going to polish them with some sort of chrome polish and them seal them with some sort of sealant. My question is which products should I use to help protect my rims and tires for a few months. I have a good size collection of products but will always by some more if there is something you guys think is better for the job. :D

Thanks for your help,

-Corey

2. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

For the rims Id look into Adams and English Metal Polishes. I havent used either, but I hear good things about both. Id also store them in those big plastic bags tire shops use.

3. Smith2287

The bags sound like a great idea, thanks:headbang:

4. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

on your tires... you can use straight APC and a brush.

for the rims, I would clean them with Meguires Chrome cleaner, polish I have heard good things about Surf City Chrome Killr. To seal them I would use Chemical Guys Jetseal, followed by a coat of Collinite 845IW.

5. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

One thing I would add is if you set them on top of each other make sure to put pieces of plywood inbetween them.

6. Smith2287

Yeah i have a bottle of the SC Killer Chrome which I never used before and I also have Jetseal 109, I will look into the collinite.

thanks,
    -Corey

7. Smith2287

Well I went ahead and ordered the collinite IW from AG. (trying to win that contest, I place an order twice a week, shipping is killing considering I only order 1 or 2 items a week) BUt It will be here sometime next week so I will clean them this weekend with the polish and sealant and when the AG order comes I will top them off.

-Corey