Why use a paintwork cleanser?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by 911Fanatic, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Altostratus

Altostratus Virgin Detailer

I swear by P21s gloss enhancing paint cleaner. Just wish it was a tad thicker...its like milk.

2. DirtyWeRX

DirtyWeRX DB Forum Supporter

I just tried Lusso Paint Cleanser today. Not bad but I didnt pull much dirt considering I polished the subie like 2 months ago

3. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

911Fanatic, what would be your input on the use of paint cleaners if you're going to be doing a full correction with compound and polishes? I would think you'd want to get the paint as clean as possible before messing with the clearcoat, right? So, wash, Iron Cut, Clay, Cleanse, Correct, IPA, LSP?

So many of the best detailers have gone straight from clay to compound/polish. I could imagine the compound working much more effectively after a thoroughly paint cleanse. But, is this necessary?

I think on some cars it may need it other not. Like the last car I corrected was so clean that the clay bar didn't pul off ANY dirt...the color of the clay was literally the same after claying the entire car. In this case, probably going straight to compound would be fine. But, a car that is dirtier and pulls off lots with clay could probably definitely benefit from a cleanser step before doing the correction.

What are your thoughts?

4. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

If you are going to cut and polish, no paint cleanser would be necessary after claying. I would do another wash after claying before using the buffer.

5. Andy6228

Andy6228 Birth of a Detailer

Stupid question but what is AJT?

6. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Sorry for not seeing this sooner. As far as polishing goes, I honestly don't see the point in using a paintwork cleanser or even washing after the claying step. The clay lube is not going to affect your polish. Wash, decontaminate, polish, seal. The only time I use a paintwork cleanser is if the finish is suspect and I'm not polishing. You want the surface to be as clean as possible for maximum adhesion. In that scenario, it would be wash, clay, cleanse, sealant.

Werkstat Acrylic Jett Trigger. It's a spray on, wipe off sealant. Very easy to use and very durable. Looks great on all colours. One of my personal favs.

7. dlt21

dlt21 Virgin Detailer

911fanatic

Did you ever try this speed and what was your thoughts

"See, I go the other way. Whenever I use a paint cleaner I go HAM on it. Im talking like speed 5 or 5.5, pressuring down and working it at least 3 section passes just before its dries, wipe off. I also use a firm pad and always get SHARP SHARP results regardless of paint type(even the stuff people whine about)."

8. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

There is no right or wrong. If you have something that works for you and gets you good results then by all means, keep doing it.