Why Brush the Snow off!

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by luke093, Jan 7, 2011.

1. JC98

JC98 Birth of a Detailer

I use a brush and leave as little snow as I can without actually brushing the paint. Start the car up and let the heat do the rest of the work.

2. greased

greased Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Are you really getting pissed at how your dad clears the snow off his own vehicle? It doesnt matter that you drive it alot or polish it for him on a regular basis... If he paid for it, he gets to take care of it however he likes and you dont get to tell him otherwise.

3. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

quite a valid point there lol
    I have no say on how to maintain my dad's car, i simply give him suggestions lol
    and if my mom uses the brush on my mazda, well i'll just fix it up when snow is gone =p

4. greased

Wait, he is paying for your insurance too? Yea, you get no say. I mean, REALLY! You're gonna get pissed over someone who pays for you to drive his vehicle? Think about that a few times...

5. greased

Exactly. Painful as it may be to see our friends and family ruin their paint, we have to respect the efforts they made to buy their own vehicle, especially our parents.

6. JPerrydore

JPerrydore Birth of a Detailer

Here in MA it's illegal not to brush your car off. Especially after we get 2 feet of snow in one day. Not exactly safe. I brush my truck off gently and I never touch the paint with the brush. I try to keep a good coat of wax on it too which helps the snow slide off. But never the less your going to end up damage just from the roads, salt, sand, and other grime.

7. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

I tried something new this week and my neighbors thought I was nuts but a pressure washer with hot/warm water kicked 22" of snows a$$. Although I know this is not a real solution to snow removal I am beginning to believe there is no Right answer.

8. Bunky

Bunky Guest

Yep, there are many laws on the books due to a few not very bright people. If it saves property damage or a life, it is worth it.

9. JPerrydore

JPerrydore Birth of a Detailer

I'm with you. It's definitely dangerous to leave that much snow on your car and then jump on the highway. Especially if it's been a few days and that layer of snow is now a layer of ice. When those things come off in huge chunks at 60 mph it's an accident waiting to happen. I'll sacrifice having to do some polishing on my truck in the spring to ensure that I'm not endangering anyone else.

10. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

As much as I love my car, I do value my life and the safety of other drivers more than my finish. I've always grown up with tons of snow, so I carry one of those Meguiars soft brushes on my trunk. The thing is that we get an insane amount of snow some days. The nice thing about the big brushes is that they clear snow off your car pretty quickly, just follow up with the scraper and your good to go!

At the time of writing it is -23C (feels like -29) out, so speed is important!