Who does the best "no limits" detail?

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by dsms, Dec 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

You can't see it?

2. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

I meant do you have the link, I would like to see TD's work not too long ago

3. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

4. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Thank you, its funny to see him come from that to concours level work on Ferraris. Its amazing to come that long in a short amount of time but I look back on where I was a year ago and where I am now and I cant believe the difference. I guess in TH's case it helps when you can spend 50hrs doing a single car to achieve great results. More power to him.

5. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

Not to take away anything from him, but if others had that much time to work on cars - you would get the same results.

6. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

I always though that and you said it, I mean I always imagined what I could do with maybe 35 solid hours on a car. We try to produce the best results we can in what, 10-14hrs most cases. Its tough and I am always moving at a fast pace trying to get a car done before the owner comes to pick it up, I just wish I had 3 or 4 days on a detail to really see what I am capable of.

7. akimel

akimel Birth of a Detailer

Perhaps it is that extra passion and commitment (and a little bit of luck, sensible marketing, and good camera work) that separates the truly great detailers from the very many good detailers. Even if I already had good detailing skills, which I do not, I could never begin to achieve what these men achieve in their details. I am incapable of sustaining the necessary attention to the smallest detail over a long period of time. I just want my car looking very good. I do not need absolute perfection, for I know (a) it can never be achieved (no matter what the silly advertising says) and (b) it will disappear the moment I take the car for its first drive after the waxing. She is, after all, my daily driver.

I have a lot of admiration for men like Todd, Clark, Rydawg, and ScottWax who are able to do excellent work week after week. My hats are off to them. I am especially grateful to them for their writeups with which they share both here and other forums. Often they can be very instructive. I know I learn a lot from them.

I do wish, however, that you expert detailers would either learn to write decent English or would at least ask somehow who knows how to write well to proof-read and edit your pieces before you publish them. The bad writing just drives me up a wall. If you guys want to present yourselves as detailers to the wealthy and famous, then at least ensure that your public communications are nicely written. A pet peeve of mine, I know, but I am making an important business and marketing point. Rightly or wrongly, a badly written review reflects badly on the person who writes it. Detailers who read forums are very forgiving. They just ignore grammatical blunders and mis-spellings; but folks who own expensive cars aren't nearly so forgiving. Just look at Paul Dalton's website. The website bespeaks "class."

Cheers,
    Al

8. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

I agree!!!!!

Just don't tell Thodd. I pointed out the were/where mistake I would aways see and look how that turned out.

9. PERFECTION

PERFECTION Birth of a Detailer

Clark for me. He seems to make it look perfect with ease.

10. blk45

blk45 Jedi Nuba

While I think you have some valid points, these guys are detailers, not book writers. I have seen some terrible grammar, spelling, etc. but for the most part, it's not too bad. Just for the record, the majority of the guys that I know that have money have terrible grammar and spelling. The detailers are being hired to detail a car, not write books. The write ups are more for the guys online. The presentations that are given to potential customers would be critiqued very thoroughly for grammar and spelling.

Can you give this a rest already Thomas? It's getting old. Nice spelling btw.

11. blk45

blk45 Jedi Nuba

Does anyone have any links to full direct sun shots of Paul's work?

12. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

A lot of stuff goin on in this thread...i will say that if most everyone on here had 50 hrs and got paid at least 2,000 per detail..then there would be a lot of clean/swirl free cars running around..but i know for myself, people wouldnt pay me for 50 hrs of work..they are happy with a nice wash/wax...i hate that but thats what i do for extra income..i havent buffed a car in a while to be honest....its guys like Scottwax and dsms that i highly regard because i see a lot of their work and for the time they put into the cars, they get the best possible results they can plausibly expect, which are really stunning

13. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

He can't drop it man! It is him that doesn't want to let go. You should see the type of PMs I am still getting from him. This time it is because I recommended Rydawg for a detail in Florida and not him. WTF????

Please talk to your friend if you don't want me to defend myself.

14. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

Well said!!

15. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

He has plenty of pictures on his site with lights on the paint. Or 50/50 shots. He was an "Autopian" type detailer way before any of us even new about autopia.

16. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

+2

The detailers' mentioned are all great but remember they are getting paid by the hour to get the cars to concour level.

I believe that many of us here given the time and the money can spend 50 hours plus or even a month on a car and get to those levels.

:thumb:

17. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

Of course.

18. akimel

akimel Birth of a Detailer

If I may, I'd like to engage you on this a bit more. Presentation, marketing, salesmanship are absolutely critical to long-term commercial success. Every time a professional publishes a write-up with photographs of one of his detailing successes, he is promoting himself and his work. Who knows how many potential customers might come across it? The successful professional will give to these communications the same attention to detail that he gives to his polishing. This is why you guys invest in expensive cameras and manipulate the images in photoshop. You want to present your work in the best possible way. You are selling an expensive product to an exclusive and demanding clientele. Everything you say and do, therefore, needs to bespeak excellence, competence, comprehensive attention to detail, class. Do you want to be as commercially successful as Paul Dalton? Then take the extra step and ask someone to proofread your copy before you publish your write-ups. Do not compose them online. Compose and save them on your harddrive using a text editor. That way you can email your draft to your editor. I'm sure each of you must have a friend or colleague who knows his grammar and who'd be willing to proof-read your write-ups.

It will make a difference!

Cheers,
    Al

19. bigpoppa

bigpoppa Jedi Nuba

I agree with the others, I'm sure that many on this site could produce absolutely stunning concours level results if we were getting paid $50+ an hour and had 40-50 hours to do a detail. Props to Todd, Clark, PD, etc. for getting ultra-high end clients and selling them on concours level detailing.

20. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I do agree with you that the the write ups are not always grammatically perfect. I also agree with your statement that how you present yourself, either verbally or in written form, may influence a persons decision to deal with you as a professional, but I doubt it. Almost all of my clients are millionaires or multi-millionaires and my command of the english language has never been an issue. If I was a lawyer, I'm sure it would be a different story. But this a forum for detailers to share information and show off some of their work. Most of the mistakes in the write ups are made because, as professional detailers, we have businesses to run and families to tend to so consequently our time is precious and when it comes to taking time to do our write ups, we are frequently rushed. So the next time you see a spelling or punctuation mistake, think about what it took for that person to get that write up posted at all, enjoy the write up and what it has to offer, but please be so kind as to keep your comments to yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.