Which to choose: Dewalt vs. Makita

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by racersky, Feb 9, 2009.

1. racersky

racersky Jedi Nuba

I had a thread which I made near the end of last you stating I found a dewalt 849 buffer and got it repaired at a local Ace Hardware store but now it's beginning to start acting up. I'm thinking about just buying a whole new buffer all together to start fresh. What would you guys recommend me to do? Buy another dewalt 849 or try out the Makita 9227c?

2. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

The Makita is a great machine, but I've never tried a Dewalt before. Paul Dalton uses a Makita...

3. Charlies02GLS

Charlies02GLS Jedi Nuba

What are the symptoms? Why not try to fix it yourself since you don't have a whole lot to lose at this point?

4. racersky

racersky Jedi Nuba

^^^ Good Point but I was thinking about picking up another buffer so i can have two and don't have to keep switching BPs all the time. The symptoms now is the buffer sometimes shut off by itself like as if it overheats or something but then when I go and try to smell if anything is burning nothing. I will let it sit down a few hours and it will still not work. When I smack the buffer a little and then all out nowhere and begins to work again. What I'm thinking is there's something inside that is loose but I don't know what can be loose.

5. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

I've only used the Makita, but its an awesome machine.

Although I still can't finish down a polish nicely with a rotary, so I have to grab the PC still for getting rid of holograms. :(

6. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

Might need new motor brushes?

7. racersky

racersky Jedi Nuba

gonna take it to ace hardware again to see what's the problem

8. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

If things don't work out for you. Look at the Makita. It is lighter and more powerfull than the DeWalt. I would never knock the DeWalt. It is a great machine. It's just personal preference...Good luck...:thumb:

9. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

I have a Makita, but havent tried it yet. Never used the DeWalt. I would say fix the DeWalt, and save yourself some money!

10. racersky

racersky Jedi Nuba

Just got back from ace hardware and apparently the tech said something started melting inside of the buffer? I was like are you sure? I didn't smell anything. Said it was going to cost me 80 bucks to repair and with that said now I'm kinda leaning towards getting a new one -_-

11. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

Wow, That was fast...Sorry to here the bad news. Maybe it's time for a new one anyway...:shrug::shrug::shrug:

12. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

:agree:

13. Dannyk

Dannyk Jedi Nuba

Probably was meant to happen eventually, so now you just have to decide which one. I have the Flex 3403, but i think if i had to get another one, i go with the Makita.

14. Nica

Nica Banned

I've heard good things about the Dewalt in fact, most body shops use Dewalt. It is a bit heavier but it's a working mule just like the Makita, both great machines it comes down to what your used to and personal preference.

15. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Dewalt, hands down, much better tool.

16. c32AMG-DTM

c32AMG-DTM Birth of a Detailer

Have you considered sending it to Dewalt directly for repair? Not knocking your ACE hardware, but if they fixed it once and it's already acting up... might be time to go to the source. :shrug:

Fixing the tool you have might save you ~$100 vs. buying a new one... not sure if that matters to you or not.

17. racersky

racersky Jedi Nuba

I'll give that a try....

Hey c32AMG-DTM didn't realize you were located in philadelphia, PA lol

EDIT: I'm just thinking about buying a Makita not really certain but had a few questions for some of you guys. If I order this within the US is the thread size going to be 5/8s? or M14? I've heard from some people that they purchased their Makitas locally in the US and somehow ended up getting M14 thread size.

18. advs1

advs1 DB Forum Supporter

damn i was going to make a thread asking what buffer i should get next. i have a hitachi, love it but its starting to thermal at times. i need a back up and was between a flex and makita. the dewalt is way to heavy, i couldnt imagine 10 hours with that in my hands.

19. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Come on, you can do it, I just did a 42 hour paint correction on a truck with mine. A little sore but not from the weight of the buffer.

20. racersky

racersky Jedi Nuba

you get used to the weight of the buffer after a while but I wish the dewalt that the handle like the makita