which leather products to use for me

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by xxterxx, Aug 28, 2010.

1. xxterxx

xxterxx Any Rag Vehicle Washer

my car has got genuine leather for the surface and synthetic for the sides .... aftermarket leathers....

i have used zaino Z9 and Z10 in the past... loved it..

but im wondering if Zymol treat is better....

im thinking of either zymol treat or Z10 or Swissvax leather milk...

which do you like best?

and what to do for synthetic leather? any different frm real ones?

2. trhland

trhland Nuba Guru

i use pinnacle leather lotion. its simply fantastic. leaves the leather nice and soft and smells like leather. its a little pricy but worth it .

3. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

I use the Adam's or The Prima as either works great. I have used the Zaino and was happy with that as well. The Wolfgang Leather care is good too.

4. Max405

Max405 DB Forum Supporter

I want to get Swissvax leather milk. But I tried some Zymol leather cleaner and then Zymol conditioner (came in a kit that I bought around 6 years ago) and I was BLOWN away with how it left my leather. The seats were softer than ever. Not shiney. Just perfect. I am sure any of the products that are recommended here will work great. However, I was gonna toss my old stuff and get new and I am glad I didnt. It still works great.

Joe D.

5. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

I have used Zymol Treat and well as Zymol leather twins sold OTC @ Target. I found treat leaving leather feeling softer, hovewer I'm not a fan of it's banana scent. Why would you want your leather to smell like a banana? Zymol OTC leather twins have different scent, and are nice products for OTC. I never used SV leather milk, as I think it's kinda pricey. Zymol is very nice, and I'd recommend checking out Leather Master trio, as well as Gloss It leather twins, and Raceglaze leather twins.

6. xxterxx

xxterxx Any Rag Vehicle Washer

i have read some sites that says OILs are actually not good for the leather ... i dont know how true is that but most of the leather conditioners out there has oils...

and i have seen some 3-4 year olds italian cars like lamborghini ferrari maseratis... and their leather looks awful with crinkles and little cracks.... even with owners taking care of them... why are those leathers deteriorate so fast ? compares to leathers on BMWs and Mercedes which looked good after 3-4 years...

i notice some cars... in which case mine is an audi A5... the lower end cars have leather that last longer than the higher end ones in this case an S5... the leather seems to wrinkle faster.. these are the soft type of leather as opposed to those rougher types of leather..

any ideas what are the different types of leather?

thanks people

7. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

if you haven A5 - your leather is coated. There are some cars with uncoated leather, which IMO is a waste. It looks/feels like cloth interior. To me the whole idea of having leather is if you spill a drink - you can wipe it off WITHOUT it penetrating in...
    I have 2 BMWs ('04 E46 325Ci, and '09 E70 X5), and use the Gloss It, Raceglaze, and Zaino, as well as some others and really like them. Now with that said, you might still have wrinkles, but not as many as on Japanese cars, and defenetely not as many as on domestic cars...rugular leather maintaince is important. First of all, I'd tint windows if possible. It will give you some privacy, as well as lowe UV light entering a vehicle. Second is condition leather every season, and driver's seat can get a few additional coats in between this maintaince schedule. Also, protect leather from UV with 303 protectant once a month...

8. judyb

judyb Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Leather does not require 'conditioning' with anything other than water.

Keep your leather clean by protecting it with a leather protector and then regular cleaning.
    Adding 'conditioners' which generally contain oils and waxes will change the appearance of your leather over time as dirt will build up on the surface and cause a sheen.

Using the correct care methods and products will not alter the factory finish.

Your type of leather is 'coated' leather. This is essentially a 'painted' leather with a clear coat finish over the top. The leather may or may not be dyed through with aniline dyes prior to the finish coating.

Essentially it is this top coating that needs looking after. Cleaning is vitally important as the top coat will wear away if allowed to become dirty. Dirt on the surface will aslo become ground into the finish by constant abrassion.

'Conditioners', balms, feeds etc (traditionally oil and wax based) cannot penetrate this finish so are not worth applying - they can also leave behind residues on the finish which will only attract more dirt if allowed to remain.

A protector will make the finish easier to clean and also inhibit dye transfer etc on pale coloured leathers.

Leather however finished has to remain breathable and it will allow the movement of moisture back and forth (transpiration) so the use of water based cleaners and protectors will keep the leather correctly hydrated which is essentail to keeping it in good condition.

The routine for correct care should be
    Protect from new
    Maintain with a regular clean or maintenance product
    Deep clean with a foam cleaner once or twice a year

This will prolong the life of the finish on the leather