Wheel Cleaners:

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by togwt, Jan 17, 2008.

1. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

The old formulation was detrimental to alloys, even Simple Green eluded to it. So they changed the formula as they didn't want to lose the lucrative Aero industries buisness-

Simple Green offered an alternative product - Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner - Meets Boeing Specs –D6 – 1748-7P
    (Water- based, no petroleum solvents) - Extreme Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner - More Info

2. JohnyB

JohnyB Birth of a Detailer

Ty TOGWT

3. jujuanne

jujuanne Banned

Thanks, this was very informational. I was wondering if there are products that might be too strong for the paint on after-market rims?

4. yukonon22

yukonon22 Wax on..Wax off

I need a wheel cleaner for cars that don't get wheels cleaned often( Wheel brightener?) and one that comes bulk and good for chrome and wont strip the wax off my rims? p21s, griots, or menzerna? any suggestions

5. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

I have the Top of the Line lambswool brush and its fine to use for light cleaning but its not very sturdy and the grey lambswool will start to shed off bit when being rinsed, sometimes its left on the wheels as well. Also its very thick and retains water so unless its completely dry it will start to develop and odor if its just damp.

6. yukonon22

yukonon22 Wax on..Wax off

the way my wheels are no brush will worl i use a sponge, ez brush, and finger mits

7. MrPolished&Waxed

MrPolished&Waxed Obsessive Detailer

Im not sure what wheel cleaners have this but every detailer should be informed about what they are using and what is in the product, this article is about Hydrofluoric Acid

A deadly rinse

8. RamSus

RamSus Jedi Nuba

Very informative thread about wheel cleaning/polishing. How about protecting chrome wheels from the harsh winter weather, especially salt. What do you guys recommend?
    Would a sealant, such as Poli-Seal or wax be fine?

[​IMG]

9. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I really like how Duragloss TPP 105 has been protecting my wheels.

10. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Sonax Wheel Cleaner full effect

The best of both worlds; the cleaning power of an acid wheel cleaner with a (safe) pH of 7.5 by using a neutralised acid salt; neutralization is the reaction between an acid and a base (alkaline) producing a salt and neutralized base; common examples include acetic acid and sulphuric acid (hence the red colour, which is a chemical reaction with the metal particles) forming a miscible emulsion that can be rinsed away and the smell (sulphur) It starts off green, then red and then to blood red, leave it on for a minute, agitate and rinse.

11. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Sonax Full Effect is the best wheel cleaner I've tried up to date.

12. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

any info on this
    [​IMG]

got it and delute it i think 4:1. cleaned my wheels yesterday and it worked pretty good. got some yellow stuff off the tires but wheels were sealed with rejex 3 weeks before so cant realy tell if it can clean very dirty wheels
    its says its pH 9.5

Where to Use
    Use Simple Green Pro HD in a general cleaning dilution on floors, painted surfaces, aluminum, stainless or polished steel, chrome, plastics, vinyl, canvas, cabinets, counters, stove tops, refrigerators, sinks, showers, tile, and more. Use Simple Green Pro HD in a heavier cleaning dilution for engines, wheels, tools, heavy equipment, landscaping equipment, bumpers, grease & oil stains, exteriors of cars, trucks, vans, RVs, and boats; on BBQs, ovens, grills, range hoods and vents, machinery and more. See product label for specific dilution instructions.

13. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Extensive updates incorporated to original article

14. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

togwt, P21S Green Gel is also pH 9.5 according to P21S USA.

15. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

excellent and thanks again togwt!

16. trhland

trhland Nuba Guru

p21s gel is use been useing it for years. great safe cleaner

17. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

P21S and Sonax are way too pricy for me. I use OPT Powerclean 3:1 or DP Gel.

Anyone tried Duragloss #821 AWC?

18. Meticulous-Detail

Meticulous-Detail DB Forum Supporter

I would like to know also.

19. teak

teak Birth of a Detailer

I have used #821. It is a good wheel cleaner and just works like most DG products. As with most wheel cleaners, some wheels my require agitation depending on soiling. I should order a bottle of 821, since the local Carquest does not carry DG products.

20. Celtic Bob

Celtic Bob Two Bucket System Washer

Anybody use Spray Nine to clean wheels/tires/rims?