What's your GO to Sealant/Coating these days

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by chefwong, Jan 17, 2013.

1. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Menzerna Powerlock. Why mess with a good thing?

2. Holden

Holden DB Forum Supporter

Menzerna Powerlock, Collinite 845, and Auto Finesse Tough Coat (trying out this weekend)

Want to try
    Blackfire Wet Diamond
    Wolf's Body Wrap or Hard Body
    Auto Finesse Power Seal
    1Z Glanz

3. dogma

dogma DB Forum Supporter

Wolf's Hard Body
    HD Nitro Seal
    Prima Hydro Seal

4. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

Coatings: Opti-coat Pro and CQuartz Finest (very noticeable difference in the darkening/richening effect of these two)

Sealants: BFWD, but I think Wolf's HB may have just replaced it.

5. invaderzim

invaderzim Jedi Nuba

dang, I know it is 'all in the prep' but I still wonder if I'm putting it on too thin or something.

6. React

React Birth of a Detailer

Add colonite 845 and this is my list. Only use OC for wheels...

7. chefwong

chefwong Birth of a Detailer

Give the 2, I would use 845 for wheels and OC for paint - Given the 2...

Still waiting for more reports, feedback on P22

8. 3PedalMINI

3PedalMINI DB Forum Supporter

I am truely not saying this Because of my Falling out with Adams. These new Nano sealants blow the pants off any traditional method and system. Are these coatings for the guy that loves to rub on his car every couple weeks, No! But outside of this detailing world and to customers cars are nothing more then utility point a-b "tools" you have the people that could care less and you have the people that grew up that you need to wax your car twice a year and do nothing but run it through the car wash. You also have the people that do care (for the most part) about their paint but are just insanely busy to rub on it every couple weeks. The last two people are perfect candidates for nano coatings, the 2nd group i mentioned are perfect candidates for a system like Opticoat where it leaves a shine but no real depth but needs to offer an insane amount of protection. The last group i mentioned is a perfect candidate for something like Hardbody/22PLE where the car is insanely glossy with the depth that at one time you could only achieve from a wax but only care to focus on it 1-2 years.

These coatings also offer an insane amount of bird bomb protection, My dads audi was hit on a Monday and he told me on Friday i took the hose and the entire bomb fell off without any noticeable sign of etching. He is a very busy man and so am I. I take care of his car but there are times that it goes a month without a wash :shakehead: To have his car after a months time look just "slightly" dirty says something about HB and these coatings, If its rained the night before and you drive off the car is completely spotless and no noticeable signs that there was any rain. HB also provides a depth and Shine more insane then I have ever seen before, On a black car to get "lost" in the paint and when the Fleck gets pulled out they nailed it. This was a type of look that once could only be brought out by using a Wax. (polishing also has alot to do with it too, I know you know)

I was very disappointed with Adams and their daily driver protection, His Audi is garage kept but he's out of the house by 7 and back at 6, He parks in a parking lot with no shade and a factory 1/5 of a mile away so its being beat on day by day. I also knoticed that Americana is very "sticky" and dirt sticks to it pretty bad. Also QS,MSS and Americana don't offer much barrier from a bird bomb attack, Ive had etching occur within 6-8 hours.

I Dont mean to bash Adams, I think they are still good products and Adam has found an incredible niche market for guys that absolutely love to rub on the car on the weekends and want to have a 99-100% flawless finish. But if we can achieve a flawless finish and "lock it in" with these nano coatings you are much further ahead. I was doing a coat of MSS/Americana on my dads car every two months, the same goes with my workvan (and i know what im doing and know how to properly apply too lol). For daily driven vehicles and a busy life it is unacceptable IMO. My other Opinion is that Adams has no real business in the professional Detail World, Products are too safe (they are designed that way for a reason, I think we can all agree :) ) When time is Money the products are too slow. Again, They are designed for the DIY and the people that love rubbing. This is my Gods Honest Opinion and is something that i realized 1/4 of the way into my Adams Obsession and talking with some high up pro detailers we all agreed . Eveyones MMV but ive also started and help run a detailing company a few years back and know what types of customers need what. If it was a garage queen that saw the day every sunday then Nanocoatings are probably not for them :thumb:

Ive got to get back to work, I hope we can still be "forum buddies" I Hope what I wrote makescoherent sense lol :poke: :)

9. chefwong

Give the 2, I would use 845 for wheels and OC for paint - Given the 2...

Still waiting for more reports, feedback on P22

10. chefwong

3Pedal -

I agree with your assessment but it's more a subjective approach. Nuba is nuba and the inherent stickiness / durability you get is the tradeoff you get with the oils in Nuba.

My Middle ground in BFWD.

Love the coatings for it's durability. The only coating I've used to date is OC and AQ. We'll see how these newer ones fare in in durability and looks...

11. 3PedalMINI

3PedalMINI DB Forum Supporter

Ohh Please dont get me wrong I Understand why and Nuba Waxes have their place. If i had a garage queen I honestly dont think i would use a Nano Coating but i dont and i want the best protection i can get. when i slow down and can afford a garage and my Dream Car that sits in the garage and can rub on her all the time she would get nothing but a Nuba finish. then again HB is hard to beat right now :)

12. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

How difficult is it to apply opti coat 2.0 for the first time if you've never worked with the product before? The closest thing I have tried to a "coating" are the Body Wrap and Hard Body but those are really simple and straight forward.

Do you guys have any tricks you use to apply the opti coat sparingly but effectively? What kind of applicator do you use,etc?

13. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Dude, if you can't apply Opti Coat without messing it up, you shouldn't leave the house without your helmet and supervision. I apply it heavy and don't have issues with it. Best move I ever made was switching to Optimum Hyper Polish for my polish before applying. I put an X across the applicator for the first area and apply in circular fashion. I find it easier than going up and down and across. Instructions say to add a couple drops per panel. I add 4-5 drops per 1/2 or 1/3 panel and still have trouble getting the recommended 7ml per car used up. You can buff any high spots with a towel or go over with the applicator. You can call me at 604.561.5121 and I can walk you through doing it if you want.

14. john baker

john baker Birth of a Detailer

sealant=hd poxy
    coating=optigaurd

15. Adam's Polishes

Adam's Polishes DB Certified Manufacturer

For obvious reasons I'm an Adam's guy. My Z71 has been treated with only Quick Sealant and I love the stuff. The only areas that are getting refresh coatings with any regularity are the leading edges (hood, grill, mirrors, bumper) where I most of the abuse is happening. Finally got it to the point of failure on the rest of the truck recently at 4+ full months. Thats with an 1100mile relocation drive from CA to CO, daily driven, about a half dozen snow storms, and Colorado roads covered in mag chloride and salt. For me thats all the protection I can ask for or really want.

I enjoy the process of detailing too much and playing with products to go coating... I get the benefits and if I were a 'service provider' still and performing correction/protection on daily drivers I'd sure I'd be into them as well, but for me a sealant that will last thru the 'bad season' is all I need. Come spring the truck will get stripped down and I'll probably go to the new carnauba product we're working on for the good weather. Come winter I'll do my prep and back to sealant I'll go.

Heres some shots of QS still doing the job after lots of exposure and abuse:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. RZJZA80

RZJZA80 Two Bucket System Washer

DG105/501 and Collinite 915, haven't seen anything that lasts longer AND looks better than these.

17. Slava

Slava Virgin Detailer

sealant = MPL or BFWD
    coating = OptiCoat 2.0 ​

18. SON1C

SON1C Any Rag Vehicle Washer

bfwdps

19. SON1C

SON1C Any Rag Vehicle Washer

looks awesome! speaking of adams products mine came in today!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/car-detailing-product-discussion/36196-adams.html#post367775

20. Upper Class Detailing

Upper Class Detailing DB Pro Supporter

DG and OG/OC 2.0.