What's the difference btwn. M105 and M95 compounds

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Dust2Glory, Aug 3, 2008.

1. gregk

gregk Virgin Detailer

As others have said, the main difference between M95 and M105 is the working time. The M105 uses micro abrasives that work instantly and don't need to the "break down" of a traditional polish. M95 does not really list if they use diminishing abrasives, but it seems to work better if it is worked longer.

If you are having issues with M105, here are my tips. If you are having caking issues with the PFW, you are using too much and you are not misting instant detailer on the pad first. Using a small amount is important to getting it to work properly along with using a clean pad every few panels. I use about 6+pads per car with either M95 or M105. When using M105, put down a bead and work that area instantly. When you try to spread it out first and then go back over the original area, you will have issues with caking. It works very quickly, so pick it up and start working the area without spreading it out. As others have said, adding other polishes will extend the working time if you still can't get the hang of M105 or you can just buy M95!

M95 works like a regular compound that you spread over the area and work it until it clears. I find it takes 2-3 times longer than M105 to work an area. That being said, I find that you can polish the paint and get better results than M105 because you can work it longer and adjust speed and pressure more while it is working. I have used almost a gallon now of both and will use M105 on occasion, but I reach for M95 most of the time now. It is not as fussy to use and the results on either one are great. M95 sells for about $10 less for a 32oz container as well.

2. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

You shouldnt need to use any kind of detailer spray or water. If you dont like the working time of 105, then you can mix it with other polishes like many have said. But you might as well just switch to 95 or another compound, 105 was designed to work very quickly.

Sounds like someone needs to open up a clinic on how to use just 105. Ill give you guys a deal, $50/ hour. :)

3. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

You should not use qd to prime the pad, there is no reason to prime the pad other than with the product you are using. Plus I do not understand why people have to add things to polish, doing that means you still do not know how to use the polish. If Megs wanted xyz added to their polish I am sure they would have put that in their instructions. This goes for any polish for that matter. Like the saying says, practice makes perfect, there is no need for a crutch to be able to make the polish work. It really isnt the same polish after you add xyz to it anyway, it was made a certain way and it should be left as is so it works as it was made to do.

4. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Sounds about right to me. Even though some polishes can be frustrating (M105 gave me fits for a while) I have learned that 99% of the time its my technique that needs tweaking and not the polish. It can be frustrating when what you are used to doing just doesn't seem to work but being able to adapt and adjust to the polish I have found is what makes the great rotary users great.

5. Greg Nichols

Greg Nichols Birth of a Detailer

The adding of other polishes just allows others to learn a bit easier. In time the hope is they get the hang of it without, just a crutch for a bit. It sure is discouraging having the product be SO different that you just shelve it.

If you can get the technique easily great. I have seen so many give up on this great product, I would rather offer a crutch.

Cheers,
    GREG

6. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

I understand were you are coming from Greg, but so many people give advice to add xyz to it to make it work easier and that is not the correct answer. The best answer is to practice or give them advice how to use it on its own. If you can not do that then you should not give advise, and this should go for any product. It is not the products fault that you can not get it to work, it is operator error, or you just don't have the skill level to use certain products.

7. Greg Nichols

Thank you great OZ, I now know my place.

Cheers,

8. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Greg, I should have not used the word you, that was not directed towards you at all, sorry about that, you was suppose to be meant as everyone

9. Greg Nichols

Thanks for the PM to apologize!

Apology accepted!

Cheers,
    GREG

10. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Cool, was not trying to single you out.