What would you buy with $2K

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by dadswrld, Aug 21, 2009.

1. anbuzero

anbuzero DB Pro Supporter

sry i completely missed this before lol im located in Totowa NJ. Im actually somewhat close to Phil at Detailers Domain

2. dadswrld

dadswrld Birth of a Detailer

Thanks guys. I see some interesting things here.

Very interesting. It seems to have all the necessities needed to get started. Of course there would be other things you would need. Choices I tell you.

3. dadswrld

I am planning to see him when I come down. Kind of made a pre-summer trip wish list.

4. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

For 2 large your wishes should be full-filled, unless you Buy Swissvax Products :shakehead:

Do you already have a Shop-Vac or Generator lying around?

5. dadswrld

Yes Flash I do. I just took some picks on what I have already and here it is. I had started picking up some of these things since earlier this year. Most things were on sale (you'll tell by the multiples except the shop vac). Some items I had for a while.

Here's the link: http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/f48/new-guy-trying-new-things-11325.html

That's it.

I'm planning on pulling the trigger on a Steamer or Extractor today. They are in my price range and I like the benefits both have to offer. My choices are the following;

1. Steam Cleaner - Steam Cleaners - Vapor Cleaner - Commercial Steam Cleaners

2. Aztec Hot Rod Hot Water Extractor, carpet cleaner, auto detailing equipment, carpet extractor, carpet spotter

Which would you choose as your first item and why?

6. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

Turning away work? Shoot I'm pretty close to you. Throw summa that overflow my way :). I have nothing right now.

7. anbuzero

Ok so heres the new list, I might repeat some of the products I listed before but here I’m categorizing to make it more organized:

Towels:

-Good Quality MF Towels, ex: Uber MF Towels from Phil, DI Ultra Plush and CG’s towels are ones I have and can say are perfect for quick detailers, buffing off sealant and waxes.
    -Cheap MF towels, for wheels, interior cleaning, and other areas where you know a nice MF will get ruined. The Costco MF I think I calculated come out to about 47 cents each, I think.
    -Large Drying Towels, I have 3 as of now, 1 large regular MF towel and 2 Waffle Weave. I usually start with the waffle weaves as they catch the most water and dry glass like magic.
    -MF Towel Cleaning Detergent, I personally have CG’s detergent and its awesome. Cleans and brings life back to used towels.

Wash:
    -One or two regular soaps, as I said before I have Maxi Suds II and Meg’s Gold. They work great when mixed together and alone.
    -One LSP removing soap. I have CG’s Wash and Clear
    -Foam gun with hose, or foam lance with power washer
    -2 Buckets with grit guards
    -One or two sheep skin mitts
    -An APC like CG Grime Reaper for really dirty areas like wheel wells and jambs, as well as engine bays
    -Brushes for cleaning around Emblems, Gas covers, Grilles, and engine bays
    -Electric leaf blower for drying the car and/or air compressor to blow water out of spots like taillights, door handles and perfect for engine bays

Wheels:
    -Wheel and Tire Cleaner, like P21S Gel Cleaner
    -Some thing heavy for tar and really dirty parts, I have EO Wheel and Tire Cleaner
    -Brushes for tires and wheels. I have several, for the wheels, I suggest 2 types, something like the EZ-Detail brush for wheels with limited space between spokes and a regular one for the wide open areas
    -Sealant for wheels, not absolutely necessary when starting, but something to consider when you want to up the quality of your work.
    -Dressing for tires

Claying:
    -Different grades of clay. I have a regular grade for normal claying, and an aggressive one for problematic tar and other contaminants that wont come off
    -A good lube, I usually use the lube that comes with the Clay Magic Clay, but if I don’t have any left I use CG’s QD 1:1 ratio and it works amazing

Polishing:

-PC, Flex, or Rotary I have a PC 7424XP as of now great for light corrections
    -Different polishes and compounds, to start you should get a compound, medium cut polish, and finishing polish, I have Menz Power Gloss, SIP, 85RD, 106FF
    -Polishing pads, try to get different sizes. I have 6.5" and 4" LC pads
    -Polish pad primer
    -IPA or ISP to mix with water to wipe off the polish
    -Halogen Lights and LED lights
    Glass:
    -Glass Cleaner for interior and exterior glass, I have CG’s which is window tint safe
    -Glass MF’s and something for reaching difficult areas (not necessary but a plus to have)
    -Plastic Razor blades or regular ones if you’re careful, to remove things from the glass (I once found paint stuff to the glass)
    -Goo Gone or something similar to remove stubborn things like glue residue from aftermarket moleskin weather strips
    -RainX or similar to repel water

Exterior Misc:
    -Dressing for exterior plastics
    -Polishes for metal, exhausts and other trim
    -Quick Detailer

Interior:
    -Vacuum
    -Steamer
    -Brushes
    -Fabric Cleaner
    -Dressing for plastics
    -Leather Conditioner
    -Fabric Protectant

LSP:
    -A good sealant like CG Jetseal or M-seal
    -A good carnauba wax that brings out color and gives a good amount of protection

Misc Tools:
    -PTG
    -Stool or chair for polishing and claying
    -Eye protection
    -Ear protection
    -Extension cords
    -Cotton Swabs and tooth picks for getting gunk around trim and badges
    -Foam brushes for applying things like Black Wow
    -First aid kit for band aids and minor injuries, good for mobile detailing (Yes, detailing can get dangerous)
    -Camera and tripod for documenting

I think that’s a good shopping list for when starting to detail. If I missed anything let me know ill add to the list maybe it will be useful for other new detailers looking to invest money where they need it.

8. dadswrld

9. anbuzero

Honestly I only have personal experience with DA backing plate and just the LC one. From what ive read the 3m backing plate if im not mistaken has been known to sometimes (i think very rare) come apart after long periods of polishing. If im reading the other link correctly it looks like you can get both of the backing plates at that price. If so I would look into those first and see what reviews they've gotten. I say this because you are going to see that your going to need more than one size pad. Again not sure about the 3M one but i think the thread is somewhere on this forum ill look around and link you when i find it.

10. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

2k huh?

Makita
    PC (great for applying liquid waxes or buffing out plastic rear windows on convertibles)
    menzerna polishes
    uber pads
    tropi-care MF towels
    megs hyper dressing
    megs wheel brightener
    sprayway glass clean
    uber glass towels
    collinite 845
    1z rubber care stic
    1z deep plastic cleaner
    tropi-care tire dressing
    3m pinstripe removal wheel
    cordless drill
    plastic razor blades
    clay
    megs last touch
    chemical guys CWG or CWC (or both)
    2buckets with gritguards and a good sheepskin mitt
    SV brushes (any and/or all of them)
    good spray bottles with good sprayheads
    foam and MF apps
    various wheel/tire/fender brushes
    IPA or prep-all
    extension cords
    RB backing plates
    shop vac
    little green machine
    folex
    megs apc or MS SGS
    DG 601/105
    aquapel
    never-dull
    tape
    303 arespace protectant
    novus ploish for plastics!
    1z leathercare
    m105
    megs wool pads
    pfw

I didnt read what everyone else posted but these are real essentials in my opinion.

11. anbuzero

3m backing Plate de-laminating I think thats the link doesnt seem to be too common at all so i guess if you cant find reviews on the others go with the 3m. like i said i only have experience with the DA backing plates

12. dadswrld

Your help is well appreciated.

I'm just looking at the CG site and can't find CWC, does this Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detail Supplies : CHEMICAL GUYS WHOLESALE AUTO DETAILING SUPPLIES CAR WASH PRODUCTS PROFESSIONAL CAR DETAIL SUPPLY FACTORY DIRECT have the same abiity to cleanse the wax or sealant from the paint?

13. anbuzero

CWC

there u go :) the CWG im not sure about. I havent used it but from the website it looks like a normal soap. The CWC is awesome because when stripping the lsp from the paint Ive actually seen the lsp coming off. great stuff only thing i would recommend is to do 1 or 2 extra rinses if your ocd like I am. I feel like the CWC leaves residue but thats only normal when removing an lps from the car.