What Vacuum are you Using?

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by BrendanS, Nov 24, 2009.

1. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

The Costco on Wake Forest Rd. has something that sounds like it's probably the same thing. I forget the number, but it wasn't very high horsepower. 2.5 I think. The 4070 is a 5HP. I'm with you, I don't need something huge (again), but stronger is better.

2. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Hmm, if it is only 2.5 then it going to be a no go, haha. If I am gonna spend $50-70 bucks might as well go with something higher in power.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Birth of a Detailer

Metro-Vac and blow

4. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

This is the one I use. 315-C

5. christian900se

christian900se Obsessive Detailer

I will be using a 12 gallon 5hp Shop-Vac with a whole bunch of crevice tools so that I don't have to essentially have my Bissell LGM and a regular vacuum. Plus, the Bissell just doesn't have enough suction power for my taste.

6. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

wow this is one long vacuum thread. I have always used Craftsman Shop Vac's. Never had any issues with them this far. Pretty good power and warranty as well.

This past xmas or black friday i should say i did however pick up a Ridgid shop vac as a backup as i have heard very good things about them. Should be great to try when the time comes.

7. Rennes

Rennes Jedi Nuba

I saw eshine now carries it. Can you vac wet debris with it?

and ... is it really THAT good?

8. 604_Snooze

604_Snooze Obsessive Detailer

I think the Metro vac is only a dry vacuum. But 4HP in that size is pretty amazing.

9. scott14

scott14 Birth of a Detailer

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Birth of a Detailer

Dry only! I like it because it's small very powerful and a lot of tools for every possible situation!

11. pushtiulk

pushtiulk Guest

Bosch vacuum

12. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

I love my Metro. Just can't wet vac with it.

13. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

I have a Metro Vac n Blow, I have a question for the people with the shop wet vacuums.

lets say theres 10 gallon of water runoff on those water mats for mobile detailing, how would you vacuum those dirty water? would you remove the filter? and by removing the filter, will it damage the vacuum?

14. Obsessive Detail

Obsessive Detail Pro Detailer - Lifetime Member

I have a Metro Vac that I really like, we also use a couple of Craftsman Wet/Dry vacs.

15. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

I have been using a Rigid for some time too, going on 6 years to be exact. If you go thru my threads you will see where I am using the extraction tool from a bissel carpet shampooer for my extraction with it. At times I wish the crevice was a little wider to allow for more area to suction from but it works for me now. I would love to know what the water lift is on mine, its a beast at 6.0hp. The Rigid detailers pack is a must, the orange hose it comes with is great! Those that have it, does the hose actually connect to your vacuum or do you have to use the coupler that comes with it to attach to your larger diameter hose?

16. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

It comes with the supplied coupler to attach to the larger diameter hose

17. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

RWISEJR- I currently own the detailing kit, does your orange hose connect directly to your shopvac? At the end of the hose (orange) it looks like it should lock straight into the shopvac port replacing the larger 2.5" black hose it comes with. My hole on my Rigid it just too large in diameter for the orange hose to lock onto the vacuum so I have to use the "supplied" coupler to attach it it the black hose. It does give the extra 7 feet of length but there are times when I just want it to lock straight into the vacuum. Hopefully that cleared up some confusion.

18. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

No it doesn't on my 6.5 HP unit but it fits directly for ProPak unit

19. brk4euros

brk4euros DB Pro Supporter

Yes, remove filter! I haven't had any issues using this process. Do confirm that ball/float valve is working properly or you will burn up motor. Checking water level often is your best insurance :)

20. LostHighway

LostHighway Jedi Nuba

I have a Fein 9-55-13 Turbo II that I've had for about fifteen years. I have no idea how it compares to newer shop vacs but when I bought it was way quieter and somewhat more powerful than the shop vacs a couple of my carpenter friends owned. I think they both bought Feins after trying mine and it does still work after fifteen years. Spendy but...
    The bags, if you want to use them, are crazy expensive.