What tool is this?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by pushtiulk, Jan 21, 2010.

1. pushtiulk

pushtiulk Guest

Hi,

On a thread on a UK forum I saw that Paul Dalton use this tool:

[​IMG]

Anyone know what tool is it? And has more info about it?

Thanks!

2. Jedidiah

Jedidiah Guest

it looks like a little thing i had when i was a kid it was like a pocket microscope. it would magnify like 10-100? times with a little light /etc. it was a fun little science gadget.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/9c42/

3. Tim_G

Tim_G Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Its a magnifier. Myriad of magnifying power. LED lit to see under the scope clearer.

Google it up. Usually its cheap. I got mine few years back for less then 10 bucks. LOL

Paul now uses more of the digital magnifier which connects to a PC/MAC. Something like them CSI use.

4. pushtiulk

pushtiulk Guest

thanks for help

5. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

seen him using it. but what exactly are you looking for with that? i doubt scraches couse you usualy can see them with naked eye

6. Jedidiah

Jedidiah Guest

maybe chips?

7. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

he is checking to see how level the paint is

8. budman3

budman3 Birth of a Detailer

You can get that at Radio Shack for $10. It's a cool piece of equipment but not too usefull, IMO. It's good to check a scratch or chip but that's about it. It can't tell you how even the paint is or how much clear is on the car or anything. I have one and thought is was great for about 2 weeks but now it doesn't get too much use.

9. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

i guess i see that it would be usefull to check how deep scratch is

10. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I this tool would make some people very frustrated when they're in the middle of attempting to fix trashed black paint!

11. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

I have used a 15x and 20x jewelers loop in the past to check out etched spots to see how deep they where. Not the best picture but you can see if it goes all the way down to base coat. Also if fixing paint chips you are able to see how clean the edges and what not. Not a needed tool but may sometimes be useful.

12. dschia

dschia Jedi Nuba

I first came across similar device on valugard webby, I always thought that it is use more for diagnosing the kind of contaminations that sits on the vehicle before deciding what treatment to use.

30X Lighted Magnifier

13. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

I'm much more interested in the headband style ones for doing actual touchup work...

14. Bob

Bob Birth of a Detailer

If you need something that magnifies 30x to see it you won't see it with the naked eye so don't worry about it. ;) I've done a lot of show cars and have been to a lot of concours shows and I've never seen a judge use a magnifying lens to look for paint defects. ;)

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Birth of a Detailer

It's a muffler bearing inspector!

16. raiderboy

raiderboy Two Bucket System Washer

My thoughts exactly, there's no need for this when doing paint correction.

17. Brynjar

Brynjar Birth of a Detailer

I mostly use a 10X magnifier when I do rock chips.. Great tool to see if you have gotten all of corrosion out from the chip... I also have a 60-120X but use it very seldom, cause it f"#ยค up my eyes...

18. imaj

imaj Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I am sure it will make you look good in the clients eyes when he/she watches you doing this.

19. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

:applause2::applause2:

20. Handz

Handz Obsessive Detailer

i bought one of these.... not for looking at paint, But looking at My Ganja lol

anyways, its sold at Radio Shack for like $14.