What Pressure washer do you have?

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by Frankastic, May 17, 2010.

1. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

it looks like it to me, may have to call them to ask.

2. Mindflux

Mindflux Welcome to Detailing

Also the manual shows the plug as a european two prong, not a standard 15A house plug here in the US.

3. Mindflux

4. Frankastic

im guessing you're in the market for one too

so whats the fuss about the backflow preventer valve, where can I find one or CR spotless has one?

5. Frankastic

man my VX5000 is so easy to use compare to the directions of a power washer

6. Mindflux

Not sure on the backflow preventer. Never seen one needed on a pw before.

7. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

i would rather spend like $35 more and get the better quality foam canon. The one listed above looks like a cheap piece of plastic, like a toy.

Hey Mindflux . . . . so what's the difference with all this triplex pump and axial pump stuff? Those pumps on that ridgid still good i would assume.

8. Mindflux

SuperBee had a good explanation of it at one time. The axial pump (wobble pump) aren't (for the most part) industrially rated. They're meant for casual use. (The CAT pumps might be an exception here). Triplex pumps are basically meant to run continuously (with proper maintenance now and then).

You can read more here: Pressure Washers! - Autopia.org though this is more a rant on GPM more than anything.

The primary thing you see fail on Karcher's etc is the wobble plate (axial) pump.

As for that Foam Cannon, you're right it looks like a toy, but they only have one job to do and that's to foam.

Looks like the one from pwmall is the best deal at the moment on an adjustable foamer.

9. evolutionwc3

evolutionwc3 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

All very true- I went with the Triplex based on SuperBee’s recommendation and subsequent research.

However, I’ve had some in-depth conversations with the guys over at Jineco/PressureParts.com (highly recommended) about this and they physically showed me how much this can vary by manufacturer. An axial pump found on an MITM is all metal and can fit in the palm of your hand. This means there isn’t much to break and if it does, it can be fixed w/in minutes (total breakdown and rebuild). Some of the low end Karchers use a plastic propeller and housing- I’d stay away from these. A triplex pump taken apart took up an entire workbench.

It all depends on how you look at it…….

10. Mindflux

Well chances are if a pump triplex pump fails you're going to get someone who knows how to rebuild them to do it, rather than ones self.

I agree there are always varying quality of parts, which makes me wonder how 'bad' the axial CAT pump mentioned above could be.. CAT is known for making reliable products throughout their product line.

I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on a $500+ pressure washer.

11. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

wow. well i didn't know all that. I guess now that puts a totally different spin on things. Ahh the headaches i tell you LoL.

12. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

sometimes it must be done. I have gone through a truckload of craftsman pressure washers. At one point it was about 1 a year. The one i have now has lasted over the year mark but is definitely on its last legs.

Looking for something with a cat pump so i don't know. Selection out here in Hawaii is not that great at last on Maui where i am located. That is the only pressure washer that is stocked locally that has a cat pump on it otherwise i would need to build me a pressure washer setup resulting in some serious $$$$

13. Frankastic

Those who had powerwashers, can you detail w/o it?

14. evolutionwc3

evolutionwc3 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

You could definitely detail w/o one. However looking back, there were a lot of very dirty vehicles that I spent alot of time scrubbing on when I could've just blasted away.

In regards to the Axial vs. Triplex debate, I think you'll get what you pay for either way. I'd feel comfortable buying a nice Axial now after speaking with a few people that make a living selling/servicing PWs.

15. Mindflux

Interesting. Though if they make a healthy living repairing.. that makes you wonder ;)

16. Frankastic

I make a healthy living repairing Audis, I understand that machines breaks, no big deal, I just want my money worth. and $100-$200 a year for a power-washer is not for me. I live in the Northeast, so we have 4 seasons. I only can use the cold water electric PW maybe 2 1/2 seasons....I jus got my VX5000 less than a month ago and love it. I expect the same from the powerwasher I will be getting, of course a quality one.

17. Mindflux

But you aren't recommending them as a seller to profit from sales a d repairs.

18. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

yeah as stated above things break. Nothing will last forever no matter what it is. I have read some good reviews about the ridgid or mostly good reviews a couple of them however were bad and makes me worry but then again those were reviews from like 2-3 years ago and they had nothing to do with the pump.

Also, pressure washers don't remove everything . . . . . i have seen some funny situations happen to where im blasting it with the pressure washer and nothing but a simple swipe with a terry towel and it comes off LoL.

For myself i need a beefy pressure washer because i am looking to do bulk work if i can get that setup so having a dinky $150 pressure washer like a karcher won't cut it.

19. metsfan

metsfan Birth of a Detailer

I would like to know how this one is as well because it also comes in twist lock to fit my ar pw . does this really foam a lot or is it like the detergent one that come with the pw ?

20. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

not sure anyone here has used that but like i mentioned it looks like a cheap toy.

Buy it, test it and psot a review for us :applause2: