what is your favorite wash mitt?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by cheeseenlo, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

wool mitts can be tricky...they can shed called hair slipping...two ways a mitt will slip hair....

1...bacteria...you need to rinse them good so no soap residue is left in them..or the soap will cause a bacteria growth on the hide and dissolve the hair in the follicle....

2....some shampoos are acidic or have some silicones in them..in time it will release the hairs...I know ONR and a few other water less washes do have effects on wool mitts...I think the polymers they use to encapsulate the dirt also lube the hair at the hide level and cause them to slip out...

I just rinse my wool mitts till no soap it being released any more..and then hang dry in a shady spot out side ..I have wool mitts 3 years old that never shedded and still look very good...

ever smell a wool mitt left in a bucket all balled up after 2-3 days...still damp..man it will make you gag....thats the bacteria growing and stinking...smells like road kill at its best...

Al

2. pirex

pirex DB Certified Dealer

I love the green chencille mf mitt from CG

3. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

This made me laugh this morning!!! I bet the marring would be worth it though, right Gary???

I have one but I've never used it, still in its plastic. Must give it a try soon!

4. Nica

Nica Banned

hahahahahaha where can I get some :lol2: :lol2:

Good one :thumb:

5. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Obsessive Detailer

I've been using Meg's Gold Class wool mitts for years.

As my knowledge grows, I've been thinking I really don't like them as much as I use too. They really hold on to dirt and refuse to let go. I find myself inspecting the side of the mitt every time I pull it out of the water.

I think it's time to try some different options. I've never been a sponge fan, but maybe I'll try it.

Hmmmm.....

6. Usjdmtuner

Usjdmtuner Wax on..Wax off

I just bought White/Yellow SchMITT and I love it .. I also have Detailer's choice giant Bone Sponge and I guess its comparable to Zymol sponge... I also used Screaming green microfiber chenille wash mitt. I love all three as it gives me more choice and selection. Most important part is two bucket system and proper care of your wash mitt.. No bleach, softener and dont mix with cotton. Always seperate them even it would take a couple of loads..

7. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

chennile bone, grout sponge, Muppet head mitts....

8. Nica

Nica Banned

What are these muppet head mitts?

9. richy

richy Guest

Oh Christ...now you're going to upset the poor headless Muppets!!

10. LanceM

LanceM DB Forum Supporter

how are you guys washing your sheepskin?

11. jshillin

jshillin Birth of a Detailer

Definitely the VROOM MF mit... It is so soft and plush...

12. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

I only use the Lowes Grout Sponge by Proline. It is super soft and it is the only wash media that has not made any swirls on my ultra soft cc.

13. MtnRyder

MtnRyder Virgin Detailer

Sheepskin is the best for not allowing contaminants to stay in mitt....Sheepskin and a grit basket combined to keep grit out of mitt...BEST

14. MtnRyder

MtnRyder Virgin Detailer

although I am going to check out this VROOM MF mitt you guys speak of....u said Target' correct?

15. DaveS4

DaveS4 Jedi Nuba

I'm going to have to agree with Carlos in regards to the Zymol sponges. I've been using the DD Uber sponges exclusively (used to use the Schmitt mitts) and have had nothing but great results.

16. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

DD Uber sponge is the shiznit-o-bang.. I love that thing! The Proline grout sponge is awesome as well, but I like the Uber one better. The PL holds more suds, but the Uber one is firmer.

I use the Micro-chenille wash mitt (the blue one) from target exclusively for ONR'ing. I don't like using a sponge for onr washes.

I have not used a sheepskin mitt yet.

17. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Yes Vroom is a Target brand, they have decent MFs and mitts!

18. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

I've got a pretty wide selection of wash media, but the one I keep using more than the others is the Pro Line grout sponge. I've stopped using the MF mitts because the elastic bands on them all feel like they could mar the paint.

The "Grecian Wonder Sponge" at Advance Auto is pretty good too. I haven't seen any on the shelves there for months though, so they might have been discontinued. Earlier this year, my local store had them on sale for 50 cents a piece. I bought all eight of them. :giggle:

Never tried a natural sheepskin mitt. I've come close to buying one a lot of times, but keep getting scared away. I don't know how much of the internet hearsay is true, but I hear all kinds of things about sheepskin mitts. They're fragile, they smell bad, they don't last very long, you have to be really particular about how you store them, etc. With a $1.99 grout sponge, they're cheap enough that I don't have to be particularly careful with them.

19. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

The proline grout sponge works awesome on well maintained wheels as well :D

20. Paul Dalton aka Miracle

Paul Dalton aka Miracle DB Pro Supporter

dont forget to rinse it out throughly before using Nica!! :kilt: