What is with my paint? Puzzled (Pictures)

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by Kaban, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

That's alot to think about. I am really hoping it's not LSP related because up until now my paint was pretty mint. By mint I mean cleaner and less defects than most 2-3 yr. old car (not exaggerating). I'll PM Jesse to see what he says.

EDIT, seems like Jesse's PM function is disabled. What's a quick way to get a hold of him?

2. Kaban

EbbeJ,

Reading the info you posted again, I would assume that stripping the BW would remove the nano layer, thus releasing the barrier and allowing the trapped water to escape. What is a good way to remove the BW? Is SIP really not powerful enough to cut through it? I have some PowerGloss that I can try with maybe a yellow or wool pad but that seems like overkill to remove a layer of coating.

3. SoCal Garage

SoCal Garage DB Forum Supporter

Contact - Wolf's Chemicals

4. Kaban

5. EbbeJ

EbbeJ Jedi Nuba

I have no experience in removing Wolf's coatings, only applying them, so I don't know what is needed to remove them. I also don't know if the Wolf's coatings allow the paint to "breathe". I've used Wolf's nano coatings on powder coated wheels with no issue (very different to wet lacquered finishes) and on a few occasions on regular paints. No problems here so far.

Kind regards,

Ebbe

6. Kaban

Do you think CarPro Eraser will strip a nano coating like BW? I don't own that product and have never used it, but I'd buy it if it will strip the BW.

7. umi000

umi000 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Not sure if this will work, but I read on a different forum what looks like a similar case to yours, and one of the suggestions was to spray with IPA, then dry normally. Since IPA is hygroscopic (i.e. attracts water), it helps pull out the moisture that's underneath the clear. That's assuming that it's not sealed in by the BW, of course.

8. Kaban

I did do a couple of IPA wipedowns yesterday after polishing a good section and it made no difference. Unless the polish I used didn't "cut" the BW and the water was still trapped underneath.

9. midwestminimods

midwestminimods Virgin Detailer

i do autobody work full time and trying to get out of it and from what i can see it looks like water trapped under the clear i would say strip and let it sit inside where its very dry and warm i would even run a kerosen heater for a few hours and let it get the body of the car nice and hot pm me if you need more help

10. Kaban

Hi, thanks for the insight.

By "strip it" what do you mean? Strip the clearcoat? I'd rather not do that.

11. Kaban

I guess the big question is, what do I use that will guarantee stripping off the BW completely?

12. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Any sealant can be easily stripped with a light polishing. Using a white /green pad with Menzerna Power Finish or Megs 205 should take care of that for you. Maybe do the trunk lid and give it a few days to see what happens. By stripping, he meant the sealant, not the clear coat. :)

13. Kaban

Thanks Ken,

I didn't know if BW, being a coating, needed any different procedure to be removed than a typical sealant. I have already tried an orange pad with SIP to no avail. I mean, it made zero difference.

14. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

Stripping the LSP or in your case the BW will not always make a visual difference since you can't see any LSP accept for when it's bottled up in the manufacturers package. The thing here would be to use a Polish such as the one's ken suggested to polish the surface which should cut through whatever protection you have on the car. You can then follow with a light dawn wash and wipe the surface with some IPA and dry as you normally would. Once done with that proceed to what was suggested about letting that area dry and try to use some form of a heater to warm up the paint and see if the trapped fluid will find its way out if that is indeed what it is.

15. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

As VTEC said, because your paint is in good condition, you won't see a difference after polishing. Follow his advice and do a light Dawn wash and an IPA or Eraser wipedown and you should be set.

16. 3PedalMINI

3PedalMINI DB Forum Supporter

Wow! there are some really great points in this thread, i am very curious to what the OP's problem is and how it may be rectified if there is a "Cure" following this one closely

After applying Hardbody to my dad's audi a month or so ago you guys have me scared to death now about nano sealants :poke:

17. Kaban

Thank you for the advice guys,

I will definitely just go ahead and polish the entire trunk with the PF and do Dawn>IPA. I got a small portable heater for the garage so I may just take that and hold it at a good distance away from the trunk just to completely dry and warm the panel to see if any difference is made. It might be a few days away because it's something like 16 degrees F here right now. I will definitely keep everyone posted.

18. Kaban

Haven't gotten around to doing anything with this issue yet. It's still extremely cold here (between 15-20 degrees), so hopefully we get a warmer day soon so I can give it a try.

Happy new year everyone!

19. David Fermani

David Fermani DB Certified Manufacturer

Weird that it's all over the paint on that panel AND polishing didn't help. It's gotta be some kind of surface reaction that stained the paint or clear failure as a result of it. I would suggest looking at it under some magnification.

20. Wolfs Chemicals

Wolfs Chemicals DB Certified Manufacturer

Hi guys! Dude that looks like the silver paint on your car has started to fail under the clear... I've seen it before and I can't really explain why it does that, but perhaps it got some acid rain on it or perhaps road salts. But one thing is for sure, it's not from BW ;). If polishing won't remove it, then yes it's under the clear. It could also be from prolonged use of the citrus degreaser you mentioned.