What does "Burning" the paint really mean?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Darkstar752, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I've burned a headlight in my younger years with a PC and a 5.5 inch orange pad. I'm not sure how it correlates to burning clear coat but it definitely scared me a little bit. I was able to correct it so I'm not sure if it's the same as a burning the clear coat, maybe just a heat blemish on plastic.

I definitely agree with Ken. I made the mistake of ordering a few 6.5 inch pads with the PC intro kit and the best way I can describe it is floppy. They were like 1.5 inches thick and just looked like I was polishing with a mattress. I still have the pads but I try and devote the 5.25-5.5 to the PC if I can. 5.25 is optimal for me.

2. 07 z-oh-6

07 z-oh-6 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

LOL! That's funny...

3. raiderboy

raiderboy Two Bucket System Washer

Why does this guy always have to throw insults at anyone who tries to correct him. Can't someone give him a warning or a time out?

4. christian900se

christian900se Obsessive Detailer

That's what I was thinking, talk about nasty. Maybe the positive response to his videos have an effect mentality wise.

5. Clark

Clark Two Bucket System Washer

Watch with Top Inspection mate, it doesnt always remove all the oils - This is why I use IPA over it. TI is fine if you just need a nice squeaky clean panel :)

6. Dream Machines

Dream Machines Jedi Nuba

Heat does not cause normal paint burn which gives the paint a paste dried up cake look
    A buff pad spinning at high speed with not enough lubrication does that usually
    however too much heat can cause something different - delamination of the clear coat from the colour coats and big clear bubbles appearing which is usually impossible to fix.

I've run heaps of products at 2500 and 3000 rpm on my makita 9227 and moved at .5 of an inch per second on metal panels and plastic bumpers and never caused it by heat.
    When I've burnt paint, its by stupidly not keeping the pad flat when buffing the top half of a door with a funny bump in it and the edge of the pad I'm using, digging through the paint.

And lay of Junkman, he's a top guy.

7. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

[And lay of[f] Junkman, he's a top guy. ]

That is still no excuse for personal attacks what ever opinion someone holds.