What do you like to use on a fabric convertible top?

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by artemis53, Feb 16, 2013.

1. artemis53

artemis53 Jedi Nuba

I need to get a good product to use on a convertible coming in, it has a fabric top.

I am mainly considering [but open to all suggestions]
    RAGGTOP Kit,
    303 Kit,
    or just clean the top and then use either wolfs textile, or CG Fabric Guard [which is the only product listed I own]

Also, for the window...what do you use on that? I believe I remember reading that 303 protectant will work on it and remain clear...?

Any tips, tricks or do's and don'ts? This will be my first convertible top I am working on, and I just want to make sure I make the customer happy!

2. HeavyD

HeavyD DB Forum Supporter

I like 303 myself,pretty easy to use. Lasts and protects a long time.

3. SRT8Spartan

SRT8Spartan DB Forum Supporter

I use raggtopp alot on most conv tops, and on my moms sky redline and its weird to watch water bead off of it but awesome. lol

4. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

I use RAGGTOPP products still my favorite product to use very easy and works great. Here are some before and after photos using the product.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Mitch Hohimer

Mitch Hohimer Virgin Detailer

Hands down 303 products!

6. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Only use Raggtop which is the company in Germany that makes the fabric convertible top material, The Haartz Company.
    This product is used and recommended by them. Their top conditioner spray will absolutely do wonders after the fabric top is cleaned and dried. It will turn the top a nice rich color and provide some incredible water beading off the fabric, which is ideally, what you want to achieve. And this product lasts a long time.

Pureshine above, who submitted those perfect pictures and I can tell you, that especially up here in the cold, rainy, Northwest, there are Zillions of Convertible cars !!! People want to be able to put that top down and feel the sun even when it is fleeting, right, Pureshine ? :)

So, we have huge experience taking care of Convertible tops, and for my shop as well as many others, Raggtop products really do work.

If you really want to clean up a very dirty top, that looks hopeless, I always use my Mytee HP60 Spyder Extractor after washing the top with Raggtop fabric cleaner and rinsing thoroughly, I then go over the entire top again with hot water injected into the top via my Extractor and then immediately pulled back out. This removes everything, white towel lint, etc., it all comes out and what is left is pristine, just needing to dry and then spray a few layers of their awesome top conditioner..

Good luck with your project !
    Dan F

7. Pureshine

Yep Dan :)

8. artemis53

artemis53 Jedi Nuba

Thanks to both of you!

So, I will likely use the RAGGTOPP, but how dry does it need to be? This job will be at his house, and I am only doing little amounts of work [a few hours total] so I may not have quite enough time to get it bone dry...Should I wash it and then use my extractor or shop vac to try and dry further?

Also, does it hurt, or matter to wash the top with my normal routine? I was planning on doing a normal wash routine and use that product to wash the top first, then use the dedicated product after.

9. Pureshine

Your in Cali let it sit in the sun for a little while doesn't take long to dry in the sun. Then like Ken said put a couple layers of protectant on.

10. artemis53

artemis53 Jedi Nuba

Yeah, especially now that we swung back to the 80's again!! lol!