What do you all recommend for this - Lexus ES330

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by DJ_JonnyV, Jan 19, 2008.

1. DJ_JonnyV

DJ_JonnyV DB Forum Supporter

I just finished up the interior on this thing tonight and will be tackling the paint in the morning. It's a white Lexus ES330 with that fancy perlescent paint. Here's a pic of the hood:

[​IMG]

The side panels didn't look as bad...looks like it's seen the brush wash place one too many times.

I'll be going after it with a Flex and have enough yellow, orange and white pads to do the car. From what I understand about Lexus paint, it's usually fairly soft. I'm kind of thinking start out with a white pad and maybe IP or SIP? Also have 106FA, FPII, Optimum Compound and Optimum Hyper Compound, but prefer to stay with Menz. I have PowerGloss as well, but that would probably be uncalled for. So IP/SIP and white pad for starts and move to an orange pad if need be? Also, it hasn't been washed or clayed yet. It's supposed to be a high of 20 degrees tomorrow in STL, so I'm holing up in my old man's heated garage. Wash will be compliments of ONR. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. Cooter

Cooter Guest

I think IP with a white pad to start off with. Menzerna is kinda picky about temps too.

3. DJ_JonnyV

Thanks for the reply, Cooter. I'm going to start out with IP and white, kinda what I was thinking. As for the temps, i already have my dad's heater bringing the garage temp up to 55. Let you all know how it goes.

4. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

i would say 106 with a white pad.

5. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Obsessive Detailer

That pic you showed doesn't look too bad. The 106 seems like the best place to start. White pad to start.

Always remember, start fine and work your way up.

I'd probably start with 085rd with green, or IP on white, since I don't have 106. Since that's what you have, 106 on white is a great start!

6. DJ_JonnyV

Appreciate the feedback. I don't think the pic did the swirls full justice. After doing the wheels, wheel wells and engine bay yesterday at the car wash in 13 degree weather (dang water was freezing on eveything just about instantly), I ONR'd it and clayed it using Adam's grey clay. Really helped clean up the paint. I did a few test sections on the hood. IP, white pad, and Flex on speed 5 didn't do a whole heck of a lot. Then did same section on speed 6 with same polish and pad and it was a little better. Went onto orange pad and IP at speed 6 on a different section and backed it out into the sun. The orange and IP section looked better than the white section considerably, but still not where I want it to be. I'm thinking I might do the hood twice with IP and orange. I really don't want to go the PowerGloss route. Also, I think white paint in general is just a PITA to work for whatever reason. I remember doing a white Accord and having similar issues. The sides don't look nearly as bad, so wouldn't be that big of a deal to do just the hood again. Ok, heading back over to dad's house for the heated garage action. Giving him a crash course in ONR as well.