What do I need to tackle this? (heavy oxidation)

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Chaseme, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

What would you guys recommend? My friend hit it with a PC, yellow pads, and Poor Boys SSR2.5 (IIRC).

Since then, I've acquired his gear...and am continually growing my collection and willing to purchase new products.

My fiancée's car:
    :gasp:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm going to guess a wool pad, moderate to heavy swirl remover will do wonders, but I'd like to be prepared.

2. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

id go straight wool pad with M105 or 3M Extra Cut Compound for starters.

3. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Hrm, it looks like the clear is beginning to fail on that roof. I don't think you can fully recover that but you can certainly make it better using a PFW or other wool pad and a compound.

4. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Looks really oxidized and as previously said the clear-coat is failing but I would try a using a heavy to medium grade polish and see what it does first before stepping to something with alot of cut. I am guessing you will need to use a compound but its always good to try a less aggressive polish and pad first before.

5. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

M105 with a yellow Uber pad should put a nice dent in that...

6. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Crap...I was afraid the clear was fading.

7. Viny Detailer

Viny Detailer Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Try trizarc 3000 or 2000 and 4000 Mirka abralon after decontamination, followed by LC with orange and white menzerna PF and SF Green menzerna followed with a good sealer or wax, get a good result.
    PS1. sandpaper to work very carefully.
    PS2. Personal opinion.

8. Perfections

Perfections Birth of a Detailer

If you only have a d/a this is going to take you along time no matter what you use, but 105, power gloss, hyper compound is gonna be a must, gl if it's factory clear coat, but the way it looks on the pics looks like it's been resprayed so you should get all the oxidation out

9. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

I'm assuming this first statement, but since you don't have a PGT, I'd start with nothing more than a green pad with a low cutting product. I don't know your arsenal, but I would start with Menzerna Intensive Polish and move up from there if results are not showing. Keep in mind this clear is obviously on the way out and is most likely thin, so too much aggressiveness and it's done. Once you DO get an acceptable result to your likings, hit it with many layers of BF gloss enhancing polish (like 4-5) and then with a sealant. 1 or 2 layers, as you wish. Then for looks, top it with a nice wax. Again I don't know what's in your arsenal, so I'm suggesting Victoria Red concours wax.

Hope this helps, and make sure to show us the final result of what you achieve!

I don't think it was resprayed. It could not possibly get this bad in less than 7-8 years if it WAS resprayed, and I would not trust a clear coat that was redone in the early 2000's or earlier since there were massive issues with paint quality back then, even with after-market body shop paints.

10. Perfections

Perfections Birth of a Detailer

Check out my post on ag forums, that was a respray only 3 years old, crappy painters with crappy products will look bad in a hurry. The writeup was "the power of the pc"

11. Swirlkiller

Swirlkiller Two Bucket System Washer

A decent DA machine and with a polishing pad and some Meguiars Ultimate Compound.

good luck!