What compounds are you guys using?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Joshs2013MSAltimaSL, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Aesop

Aesop Jedi Nuba

I use powergloss, and its no fun.

2. Junk

Junk Any Rag Vehicle Washer

The first time I used M105 was on an oxidized red Miata had a heck of a time with it drying out. Next time after reading more here on DB. I found out about pad prime and using water bottle sprayer. Never looked back been working great. I follow it up with M205 and a black pad done everything from white to black paints and have never had any trails appear, Yet? Hopefully never. Good Luck and keep on trying new things.

3. How small of an area are you talking about?

When do you decide to use one or the other?

Why don't you like it? I have a bottle but have never tried it.

Do you have a link to the article you read? I'm just unclear on how to correctly prime the pad and using water. When do you spray?

Thanks for all of the responses so far guys, they have been really helpful!

4. cnut

cnut Guest

Mineral oil works pretty good but, only a little is required to be effective.

5. How is it used?

6. richy

richy Guest

Josh..I was just using it yesterday morning on an Altima with bug damage deep into the clear. I wet sanded the area (2" by 2") and hit the area around it with 105 (prolly 1 foot by 1 foot) and had it turn from dull to clear in seconds. I use pressure and speed which will generate heat but do it for a short period of time so it doesn't heat up too much. Hope that helps. I'm gonna be posting the Altima...I'll finish it either tomorrow or Tuesday.

7. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Kevin Brown Method - Kevin Brown Method - Detailing World

8. So it turns out I wasn't priming the pad enough. That is probably the biggest reason why I'm running "dry."

9. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

I've just started using some compound by Malco, and so far, I like it a lot. No fussing with spray bottles or mineral oil - it actually works properly right out of the bottle. :lol:

Review here.

10. I'm going to try to correctly prime my pad and work a small space tomorrow and see if that helps any. With a 7" pad...it's takes a little more than a small bead of polish to get a wool pad that size primed.

11. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

You must be using a rotary. Hope you don't prime the wool like foam on a DA.

12. Hey Legacy, what is your method for priming a wool pad? I am using a rotary.

13. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

You just pick the polish up off the paint, why do you need to rub polish on a wool pad?

14. Ch40t1c

Ch40t1c Obsessive Detailer

It's been said, but I'm a huge fan of M105. 2nd to that I really like Menz SIP if you're doing a 1 stage correction. Works wonders with a LC orange pad.

15. To get the pad primed right? Is wool different than foam in which it doesn't need priming?

16. ahwil_lim

ahwil_lim Wax on..Wax off

there are so many types of menzerna power finish ... may I know which one you guys using?

thanks

17. richy

richy Guest

The power finish is the new one. I thought there was only one version of it so far?

18. ahwil_lim

ahwil_lim Wax on..Wax off

hi richy,

the list that available in my country:
    1. Menzerna Power Gloss PO S 33 B
    2. Menzerna Power Gloss PO S 34 A
    3. Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO 85 RD3.02
    4. Menzerna Final Finish Po 85 RE 5

Which one should I go for compound? and finish follow by?

I am planning purchase DA. I dont know whether menzerna or 3M or megs 105/205 most suit to DA then ...

thanks

19. getcha

getcha Jedi Nuba

Depending on cost, Super Intensive is still popular and works very well, so does our US/UK final finish 85RD.

I don't know what the weather is like, but sometimes Menzerna can get hard to work with. Meguiars #105 and #205 are awesome by DA and are pad and pressure dependent. You can make A LOT of combinations for cut and finish out of just those 2 polishes and a few pads.

20. I'm not slightly confused on the correct way to prime a wool pad...