what clay do you guys use?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by ampbmw, Dec 4, 2007.

1. pirex

pirex DB Certified Dealer

Riccardo here, and optimum is good to..

2. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Obsessive Detailer

How awesome would it be to put together a big matrix of which clays were the same from all the different resellers...

I'm currently using the Adams Gray clay which I really like. I also have the Adams Purple which I hate as it's WAY to firm and hard to work with...

3. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

I have used RL medium duty clay- great clay, won't mold for nothing if cold

Pinnacle poly- very light duty clay

Riccardo- alot like pinnacle, but works better

CG clay block- OMG... works alright, but since it's black, hard to tell if your picking up anything

4. jshillin

jshillin Birth of a Detailer

I currently use Sonus Green clay and Zaino Clay.

5. Calgarydetail

Calgarydetail Getting to know Detailing

ricardo for most cars but when its neededi use claymagic-red

6. eShine

eShine Guest

Two C's in Riccardo boys. My grandpa is rolling in his grave. LOL

7. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

I only wish I could use RICCARDO!!!:(

8. I just sold my Griot's Garage clay after using it for a year. I really DO NOT like their clay. In the catalog, and online, it looks buttery smooth, but when it arrives at your door, it's a brick. I maintain it perfectly with QD sprays all the time into the container, but nothing will soften it up! Especially, with the colder weather now, it's impossible to mold it to the shape/size I need. I'm trying Megs Professional right now, then probably zaino's we'll see...

9. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

Wow you sold it AFTER you used it for a year! GEEZ was it grey clay? LOL
    I have some Griots clay I havent used yet, Ill have to report back. But from initial feel, its no different than mothers.

10. I sold the unused portion lol... nice catch !

11. Sparkie

Sparkie Wax on..Wax off

Riccardo is the only one now...We can not get it in the USA......I think Smart Clay was the maker....If you look you may be able to find Adam's yellow clay....I found some last year, it's the same as Riccardo.....The stuff Adam's has now is not the same....Make sure it is the yellow......

12. advanced detail

advanced detail Two Bucket System Washer

I use blue(Medium) & purple(aggressive). I got them from 3D, I think they work good. I also hve the clay sponge and I like that too.

13. vrwm

vrwm Jedi Nuba

I finally got a hold of Clay Magic, so what I've been using is Blue Clay Magic. I tried some Mother's, I think it's less agressive than Blue Clay, I"m trying to get a hold of some Riccardo Clay, but I won't have it for a while.

14. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

I really like Mothers clay (yellow), Clay Magic (blue) and Pinnacle Ultra (green).

15. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

There are only a couple manufactures of clay and patents protect the technology, with some subtle difference
    in consistency and firmness, a recent court hearing found components of the “elastic clay” to be a patent infringement and the judge ordered sale of the product to be halted. (In the United States, Auto Wax Company Inc. (now owned by Illinois Tool Works Inc.) owns the US patent rights (No. 5,727,993) and reads thus- "Conventional compounds comprising an elastomeric resin mixed with abrasives used to remove protrusions, projections, and/or strongly adhered foreign matter from vehicle surfaces"

Auto Wax owns six patents relating to clay products and provides private label clay too many of the detail industry’s leading companies - Clay Magic detailing car clay and Auto Magic specialty products As a result, all of the Polybutene (Polyisobutylene) or plastic clay being manufactured now comes from the same factory in Japan, which as the only patent holder has a monopoly on the market. Meguiar's, Mothers, Sonus, Zaino, et al get their clay either from Japan (Source Chem. Inc. one of Japan's biggest clay manufacturers) or from a US licensed manufacturer.

See Clay - http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/f34/detailer-s-automotive-clay-1244.html

16. Nica

Nica Banned

Oooh very informative togwt, I've been curious about this patent issues, seems sily but I don't know the full story.

Thanks for the info :thumb:

17. TROJAN

TROJAN Virgin Detailer

Ok don't shoot me here for bringing up an old post i'm new here and just reading thru some post's and wanted to know some information on clay bar's.
    There are so many out there i want one that is soft stretchy easy to ned but till aggressive enough to remove stuff what type would that be? where do you buy from who?
    All the one's i use suck they don't last fall apart way to hard to ned like a brick not easy to use and the one's you find that are a little better to work with don't really remove anything an i don't want to spend million's on clay bar's to find out they are crappy like the rest.
    I see so much talk about this riccardo clay never seen it or used it before seem's i never will get the chance but sound's like this is the clay you want to have is there anything like this out there i can buy thank's in advance?..?

18. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

In order of aggresiveness -- least to most

Riccardo
    Danase Blue Clay
    Danase Purple
    Clay Magic Red

19. jujuanne

jujuanne Banned

I've tried the Mothers and Meguiar's

20. Faber

Faber Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I've only used Mothers and Meguiars and prefer Mothers. I may go for Riccardo Clay next time.