what clay do you guys use?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by ampbmw, Dec 4, 2007.

1. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

actually, Swissvax is not and neither is Griots, SW is a very different feel, and griots is just wicked soft....but i know through sources they are not clay magic ones

2. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

no, I know I just realize alot of people hate griots cuz they are almost 100% repackaged goods, but I just want ppl to understand that the end result is better than talk or hype. Hey I know when I buy Speed Shine or a pack of detail sponges from them I am probably paying 3x as much for it to say griots, but w/e I like the stuff and sure thing I like the color which DOES effect what I buy...maybe its just me

3. richy

richy Guest

I too build in the price to clay on every job..it's worth it for the quality of finish it produces. My go-to's are either riccardo or blue clay magic. I am due for some more and see that riccardo is currently on sale at eshine..i am going to stock up.

4. eShine

eShine Guest

If they are selling Detailing clay in the USA that they do not purchase from The Auto Wax Company they are wide open for a lawsuit. Our Riccarod clay is made in the USA, not by Auto Wax Company but the manufacturer can not sell his own product in the USA! I also can't sell it back to the U.S. The manufacturer we buy from was sued weveral times by Auto Wax Company, one suit was for 4 million buckaroos.

5. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

OK D&D answered but how about the rest of you do you rewash after claying or not. I know D&D uses his soap as lube and can see why he doesn't need to rewash but for those of you that use a QD as lube do you need to rewash or do you just go straight to polishing?

6. pirex

pirex DB Certified Dealer

My fav clay is RICCARDO :D

7. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Straigh to polish for me!

8. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Alright I can do that I'll start putting clay into my normal regimen then. I just hated the idea of rewashing before I started polishing which is what I ended up doing after the vehicles I did clay, .... stupid me huh.:gasp:

9. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Not stupid at all, If I had ANY doubt you better believe I'd be re-washing .. better that than induce more imperfections to remove.

Just be sure to use a bar that is mated for your work load, least aggresive method just like polishing - ESPECIALLY when you don't plan on polishing.

Once you get in in your regular routine it really is fun.. it is the only step in my process that I turn all music off for.. I just like the way it sounds as the contaminants are shaved off.. SEE YA!!!

10. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I actually clay whilst washing Wolf!!! Works grrrrrrrrreat!!!

11. richy

richy Guest

I just started using ONR as a clay lube. What a great time saver, WTF didn't I think of it on my last detail, but clay each section after using ONR!! That makes sense!

12. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

I use much more ONR in my clay lube than I use in my wash bucket...

heck I even use more product when using as a clay lube than is suggested on the bottle.. WHY?? Piece of mind !!! I also spray the hell out of the area I am claying... Ever see P. Dalton clay?? I use THAT MUCH lube!!!

13. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Motorcity I am with you, I lubed the crap out of a car when I clay. i have not found mothers clay to mar the paint. That is what I use on customers cars. I have a bunch of the old version of the Pinnacle yellow clay which suppose to be the good stuff, that I only use on my vehicles. The grey clay is aggresive, I tried the Wolfgang clay and it sounded like sandpaper on the paint, stopped using it.

14. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

That's interesting.. but Auto Wax has that monopoly thing going on and they will sue anyone who sells clay that isn't made by them..

I use quite a bunch of clay lube. I'll have a 32 oz spray bottle of DP 4 in 1 solution and use at least half of it per detail. It doesn't break the bank though! Then I read ONR is more concentrated than DP's, so I will be going to ONR.

15. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

the only 2 clay's i've used is rightlook medium duty clay.... which is very good, but hard to mold... especially when cold.
    and then i ordered some pinnacle poly, which i should of given more of a chance

but i only clay during washing... no reason to wash, then clay and lube. wastes time and more of a mess to clean up.

16. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Im going to try some Clay Magic blue and Swissvax.

17. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

I was using this blue clay my friend gave me from the dealership he worked at... and I used it while washing, but the clay started breaking down and getting really soft and crumbley.

18. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I have seen the Clay Magic Blue clay at Autozone, it's less than $10! What a bargain, and that includes the lube...

19. Whip Appeal Neil

Whip Appeal Neil Jedi Nuba

I guess this question would be for Phil @ detaielrs domain ...and Phil of ..well not CG, but CG haha

how do the adams clay and the cg clay's line up..as far os comparison and aggressiveness

I havent bought clay for ages becuase i stocked up on the yellow stuff that adams used to sell before they were pulled off the shelves...now im almost in need for a new clay bar..and im debating where i should get it from

thanks!

20. Jayplay

Jayplay DB Pro Supporter

if thinking of trying swissvax paint rubber i would look for yellow poly clay as this is what they use and is alot cheaper to buy as you wont be paying for the sv name.
    CG do a poly clay