waxing headlights and taillights?

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by cleanfiend, Dec 11, 2010.

1. cleanfiend

cleanfiend Jedi Nuba

does anyone else do this?

im pretty sure that i got the idea from members here on db and have done it ever since. Im not sure if it will help prevent yellowing or fogging of the lenses, but I do it anyways whenever I wax my car.

2. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

I do it just for the heck of it, always completes the process for me. But I think I heard at one point too that it can prevent yellowing.

3. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

i do it on occasion. It's not something i do each and every single time i wash the car but from time to time it's a nice addition to keep everything protected.

4. Handz

Handz Obsessive Detailer

everytime i wax my car, i wax the headlights. keeps the yellowing down since i live in a sunny area and my car is outside alot.

5. dankfanatic

dankfanatic Guest

i do it too, but i use a sealant instead of a wax.

6. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

I always do I like to coat mine with Blackfire Wet Diamond.

7. Upper Class Detailing

Upper Class Detailing DB Pro Supporter

I use a sealant.

8. 01GreyStangGT

01GreyStangGT Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I wax mine as well.

9. blacK20

blacK20 Birth of a Detailer

I seal my headlights whenever I'm doing the rest of the car. I have everything out and I'm there so why not?

10. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

First week I got my car I put PPF (paint protection film) on the front lights so 1. they do not chip and pitted 2. they do not yellow and oxidize. After 70k and 4 years they look like new and only replaced the film once. I would strongly recommend doing this, get the looking good (polished up and what not) then get some PPF and apply or get someone else to do it. Cost me $60 to get them done the second time around, first time I did it myself.

If you dont want to apply PPF then use a durable sealant or plastic sealant.

11. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

+1
    I actually bought a set for my Mazda but when I tried to install it myself, i failed royally and had to throw it out. Its easier to apply on non-curved lights i think (which my mazda 5 didnt have). So yeah find a person to apply it is safer. I do have lots of rock dents on my headlights, im still pondering about getting it for my GLK (and a place which sells em at a good price) but at the very least if i do, it'll be easy install as my lights are straight lol

12. JoeyZ

JoeyZ Obsessive Detailer

Yes. I always do headlights. Taillights less often. Menz PowerLock.

13. dschia

dschia Jedi Nuba

I wax them as well with Menz PL. I got no idea whether it does any protection, but the headlight does feel slick..

14. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Some waxes and polymer sealants have ultra violet (UV-B) protection agents added when they are formulated, but be cognizant that the protection a microscopically thin layer can provide is limited. This renewable barrier is probably less than 0.1 µ (4 Mils) thick. The primary paint surface protection against UV light is the clear coat; which protects the colour coat from fading by adding anti-UV-B chemicals to the polymer when mixing the clear coat ingredients. It should be noted that Carnauba wax does not contain a natural ultra violet (UV-B) radiation protection

15. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

An applied paint protection product is the barrier that provides protection for automotive paintwork besides the clear coat paint. Some waxes and polymer sealants have ultra violet (UV-B) protection agents added when they are formulated, but be cognizant that the protection a microscopically thin layer can provide is limited. This renewable barrier is probably less than 0.1 µ (4 Mils) thick.

Clear coat paint (polyurethane) provides the colour and base coats with protection, and usually has UVR protection added in the final coating; this tends to migrate towards the upper level of the clear coat (this is why it’s important to check how much of the paint surface you are removing with an abrasive polish). It should be noted that Carnauba wax does not contain a natural ultra violet radiation protection

Original equipment material (OEM) suppliers started to add a UVR protection to the surface of the headlight lens in an attempt to reduce UV-B damage (yellowing) and prolong the usable life of the lens. Removing oxidation or scratches from vehicle headlights or brake lights (also polycarbonate) also removes the UV protective layer.