Water Spot Etching coming back?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by SHhhhh, Jul 16, 2010.

1. SHhhhh

SHhhhh Two Bucket System Washer

I did a thorough detail on my Z06 that I picked up back in March (thread here: http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/show-shine/16686-black-2007-corvette-z06-detail-clay.htm ).

I addressed the water spot etching with my PC, orange CCS pad, Menzerna PO85RD 3.02, and patience. At the time, this combination took care of most marring and the water spot etching. You can see in the pics below that the defect removal went pretty well, not 100%, but good enough for what I was trying to accomplish.

After a few weeks, the same etching marks came back. My questions are:

1. Does Menzerna have a tendency to fill?
    2. Should I have done a 50/50 IPA wipedown after polishing?
    3. Should the PC/burgundy pad/M105 combo take care of this?
    3. What am I doing wrong?!

Yesterday I polished this area with the PC, Megs Burgandy pad, and M105. Again, it appears that the etching was taken care of. I did a IPA wipedown this time and the etching did not come back. I will keep an eye out in the next few weeks for them to reappear.

Help! Any advice would be appreciated!

Here are some pics of the work done back in March:

Water spots on hood (I love sprinklers that use reclaimed water!)/LF fender, bird dropping etching:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

50/50 shot of same area, after 1 pass PO85:

[​IMG]

Another:

[​IMG]

Entire area as above, after 1 pass PO85:

[​IMG]

2. richy

richy Guest

OK..so maybe I missed something? You probably did get rid of the marks the first time, but I didn't read anything about protection. Obviously something is causing new ones to show. Is there a sprinkler or something hitting the car? The other vital thing of course is that after doing all that work and grinding away some of your clear, you MUST protect the paint (and all your work, LOL). What I do, since I am protection crazy, is do a coat of DG 601/501, follow it with a coat of DG 601/105 and finally a coat of Collinite 845IW. Ain't nothing getting through that! Although I just ordered some Aquartz today and can't wait to try it out. Just make sure your protection efforts match your correction efforts. Beautiful car BTW.

3. SHhhhh

SHhhhh Two Bucket System Washer

Thanks Richy. The car is garage kept and never sees rain or even sprinklers for that matter. The water spots were on the car when I got it. The spots that have returned have the same appearance as the ones in the (before) photos. They are only on the drivers side of the car, which makes me think they were created from sprinklers spraying on one side of the car probably using reclaimed water. I have been using Chemical Guys 50/50 for the LSP, but have since switched to FK 1000p. I have waxed the car once a month since March, and wash the car every one to two weeks.

4. GDAL

GDAL Guest

I'm experiencing this issue with my car. I had nasty water spots on my hood. I performed a 2 step (203s on a green uber / 106fa on a blue uber) and the water spots were "gone". It has been a few weeks since the correction and the water spots have surfaced again on the hood. I protected the paint with optiseal and aquawax. No other area is showing water etching ... leading me to believe that I didn't remove them at all with my 2-step. I did perform 2 IPA wipedowns and I washed the car with CWC and Powerclean after polishing.

5. This sounds like a case for Unsolved Mysterys :chips:

6. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I'm not sure how porous clear coat is, but maybe the deposits were pulled back up to the top. It might be in your interest to try something like Valugard Neutralization System as their second step is an alkaline neutralizer.

7. Max405

Max405 DB Forum Supporter

I was thinking the same thing but I didnt have the confidence in my own idea to post it (no balls). I heard once that the acid rain doesnt stop etching until the acid is neutralized. This happened to me a long time ago with my Jeep SRT8. No matter how much I ground the clear down, the damn spots kept coming back. I think thats what it is.

Joe D.

8. Reflect

Right, I didn't even think of acid rain for some reason. I live down the shore and there's a lot of salt that gets mixed in with the air and dries on waterspots. Either way, this kit could remedy each problem.

9. GDAL

GDAL Guest

I really appreciate you posting this ... I'll use the Valugard Decon Kit next time I wash the vehicle and I'll re-do the hood. I'll let you guys know how it goes ...:mounty:

10. Reflect

Good luck my man. I think the decon kit will be your best bet because I'm not sure if the spots are alkaline or acid, so it can't hurt to use both. Plus, you'll have some seriously clean paint. I'll be awaiting the results.