Tropicare, OCW, LC review

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by kaiten408, Oct 15, 2009.

1. kaiten408

kaiten408 Jedi Nuba

Okay, so I just started my winter prep and I thought I post my thoughts on some new products (to me)

Tropi Care Sunburst Sealant
    This stuff is very watery :yikes: Almost too watery for my taste. I applied it with a red MPT pad from CG via Flex 3401. The pad seemed to absorb alot of product....but it did spread very easily and super thin.

I think I used too much product, and on my next coat i'll let the saturated pad spread more product around. Overall though, I'd say it's pretty good. Left my silver BMW very shiny and slick. I applied it to 2-3 panels at a time, let haze, then buffed off.

Optimum Car Wash
    Love this soap! I see why everyone else does too. Combined with my LC grout sponge, it felt like I was dragging a silk cloth over the paint. Tons of suds too :headbang:
    However, I felt like it didn't provide the cleaning power I needed for this wash, but my car was extremely dirty from a week of non stop rain.

On a side note here, the LC grout sponge is my absolute favorite wash media now. I don't understand why so many people think that it's "too thick?" I find it to be a perfect size, capable of holding lots of suds.

LC Tire Dressing Applicator
    Where has this been all my life :doh: My mother always said "The right tool for the right job" and this thing does a fabulous job at spreading tire dressing. It works great on tires with or without the "ridges", which with a terrry applicator was a pain in the ass. If your still using a MF towel or old applicator, I highly suggest you order one of these, it's a great time saver and makes applying dressing sooo much easier.

Well that's it for now. I'll be waiting to apply another coat of Sunburst and top it with some Collinite 915 (which I'm trying for the first time as well)

Thanks for reading :gidiup:

2. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

I have one of those LC blue grout sponges too. I like it.

3. kaiten408

kaiten408 Jedi Nuba

Update:

I gave it a quick ONR wash and added my 2nd layer of Sunburst Sealant XP. This time I really got the hang of it. Last time I used about 1 oz. for the whole car, this time I only used about half that.

The 2nd coat really made the metallic flakes pop :applause: Its very glossy, on par with FK 2180. However, i'm interested to see how the durability plays out :shrug:

Waited about an hour and now i''m topping with Colli 915. This stuff goes on super easy, so easy that I put it on way to thick. I've only done the hood so far, but this is one wax that you really don't want to put on thick. Spent a good 20 minutes buffing it off, going over it multiple times because I kept finding stubborn spots that I miss. :doh:

Any tips on 915 application?

4. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

The Marque wax correct? I think J Bell has used this one. PM him and see what he has to say.

5. Bunky

Bunky Guest

I wonder if others think Optimum has less cleaning ability. I sure like the smell.

6. Hum-Benz

Hum-Benz Wax on..Wax off

I'm glad somebody else feels the same way I do. :thumb:

7. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

In my experience, The Optimum has a good amount of cleaning ability. Also, you should try it in a foam cannon. :mounty:

8. kaiten408

kaiten408 Jedi Nuba

I wish I had a foam cannon, that's on my To Buy list :headbang:

The 2nd round with the 915 has gone much better. I think not only was I apply too thick, but way to large of an area. I coated, very very lightly (to the point where I almost couldn't see it against the silver paint) single panels at a time, waited about 15-30 seconds, then buffed off. Every panel was a breeze from that point on.

I read that some people found 915 to mute flakes, but I didn't notice much of that:shrug:
    When I can bring it out into the sun tomorrow will be the deciding factor.

9. Gemini13

Gemini13 Obsessive Detailer

Smells fantastic. I actually think it cleans very well.

10. michakaveli

I really like the Optimum Car wash at the standard "wash" dilution. This is my "maintenance" car wash, due to the lubricity it provides.

11. Gemini13

Gemini13 Obsessive Detailer

How many ounces per gallon do you use?

12. michakaveli

I usually follow the recommendations on the label, and I just looked. It states 1oz. per gallon.

13. kaiten408

kaiten408 Jedi Nuba

Don't get me wrong, for maint. washes this stuff will be great, but my car was especially dirty this time. Lots of dried dust/dirt spots on the front of the car that would not come off easily with just the OCW, so I sprayed some APC on them to help.