Trim Dressing

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by piginapoke, Jan 14, 2012.

1. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

I am placing a order with CG and looking for a trim dressing and I am looking for the longest lasting product out there, if need be I will order from Phil, but since I am buying other products from CG would like to place one order, also if I buy from Phil I know somehow my order always goes from $20 to $150 and I already did that once this year and we are only 13 days in. The trim I have on my truck and allroad is hard and soft rubber. Suggestions?:gasp:

2. Meticulous-Detail

Meticulous-Detail DB Forum Supporter

Not familiar with CG trim dressings, but here are some that I like:

Adams SVRT
    Megs All Season Dressing (2 months and still going strong on my Highlander trim, wells and tires)
    PERL

3. JoeyZ

JoeyZ Obsessive Detailer

SV pneu - tires Pricey, but great.

4. EbbeJ

EbbeJ Jedi Nuba

SV Pneu isn't exactly known for it's durability. If you want maximum durability, go for something based on nanotech.

Kind regards,

Ebbe

5. uzj100

uzj100 Jedi Nuba

Two things to remember when you place an order for CGs: Enter code GOLD and you'll get a 5% discount and request a sample in the comments box. They're good about sending along a sample product if you request it.

CGs Silk Shine is decent (spray) and their VRG is a "cream" style dressing that's also decent. Also, you might want to consider Optimum's Tire Dressing

HTH

6. JoeyZ

JoeyZ Obsessive Detailer

Agreed, but I re-apply frequently. It makes the tire look great. Not greasy, and no fling.

7. DirtyWeRX

DirtyWeRX DB Forum Supporter

I really like matte finishes so I stick with 303 aerospace or blackwow

8. Streetlife

Streetlife Birth of a Detailer

I bought CG Liquid Extreme Shine in the gallon size the last time i ordered from Chemical Guys, I love it, i apply it the same way you would apply Swissvax Pneu with a small paint brush. Also, it can be used for trim and your undercarriage (but i use 1z einszett for trim and some Adam's undercarriage spray for wheel wells) .:afro:

9. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

VRP is nice, Megs Hyper dressing lasts longer IMO and you can customize the dilution for level of gloss or matte, I also like black wow, lasts far longer then most........

10. Meticulous-Detail

Meticulous-Detail DB Forum Supporter

If you like Megs HD you should try ASD for exterior trim, wheel wells and tires.

11. JoeyZ

JoeyZ Obsessive Detailer

How are you guys applying black wow? Small paint brush? I use it on wife's land rover and it seemed greasy and once it rained on it, looked very streaky. I understand that will happen, but ends up looking like shit in between washes. I was going to apply BW to my S4's diffuser but don't want that streaking.

12. JoeyZ

JoeyZ Obsessive Detailer

Whats the dilution for matte? I'd be willing to try.

13. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

Joey, if your BW is streaking, it's probably because you haven't applied it properly. The place I purchased it from also threw in a free applicator pad. I followed the instructions on the bottle and used the applicator pad it came with + microfiber to wipe off and it works great. So, this is my recommendation to OP! :)

14. DirtyWeRX

I wash/scrub plastic trim with a 50/50 mix of water and alcohol before applying BW. Seems to work pretty well.

Also, apply it with a foam yellow applicator and apply a very small amount at a time

15. HeavyD

HeavyD DB Forum Supporter

Black Wow and Megs???? Come on brother. I know what you drive,end it all and get some C4, I use it on a lifted Jeep! LOL Next best is Ultima trim guard,lasts a ridiculous ammount of time and for tires my favorite 1Z vinyl rubber (big surprise)haha, on the tires and inner vinyl bits and to the OP, CG VRP is really great,wont be disappointed if you have a CG order going. Pick up a can or to of the Fade to Black as well. GREAT for the hard to reack spots in or outside of a vehicle. Both add a nice gloss and are DRY as bone.

16. DirtyWeRX

I actually didnt like the 1Z vinyl/rubber at first. Now Im starting to use it more on faded interior plastics

17. HeavyD

^^ Brings a lot of life back to those interior trim pieces doesnt it! It is easy to use, doesnt streak,keeps dust to a minimum,same protection as 303 and lasts a long time inside a vehicle. I will admit tho, 1Z lasts a few washings on the outside but there is better.

18. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

Should I ask for a sample of VRP, or the Gel Black Forever (anyone tried this)?
    I do believe my next couple of hundred $ order to Phil I will buy some black wow.

19. HeavyD

Sample of VRP would be cool, you wil like it. Goes good on pretty much anything . hard plastic,rubber trim,tires,vinyl. VERY universal. I would pass on the Gel Black Forever and go with Black Wow for hard plastic if that is your route. Is this for your own vehicle or customers?

20. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

VRP/ VRT goes on very easy, it soaks in nice and really leaves a great durable finish. Compared to Opti Bond, which goes on same way, but seems to be more "wet" and takes a little longer to dry. Seems a little more glossy too, VRP is a more natural look.....

I was going to get more optibond, but I think im just going to get more VRP..

Black Wow to me is totally different, in fact i use it on the black plastic on my bumper and it makes it look brand new, and lasts far far longer then anything else ive used..... with exception of a nano coating this is definitely worth owning as well.