Treated leather what to do

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by Pureshine, May 23, 2013.

1. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

This has been discussed on other forms and I'm getting confused now by all the info. Why even buy a leather cleaner or conditioner if most new car leather is treated? From what I read all these products do nothing at all so you only really need a cleaner for mew cars.

Thanks
    Todd

2. Pureshine

No one?

3. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

Kinda answered your own question, urethane top coated surfaces just need a gentle interior spec cleaner to maintain and heavily soiled areas or surfaces will need a brush to dislodge dirt.

4. DAC17

DAC17 Virgin Detailer

I am in the same camp as Pureshine. Read a lot about leather treatments, but it seems like pretty much all cars that retail for under six figures have coated or treated leather. Therefore, just a good cleaner?

It does seem that something that adds some moisture might be helpful, but maybe not....

5. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

As Bob said, weekly wipe downs with a damp mf after vacuuming and a gentle cleaning every three months or so should do it for you.

6. Pmach

Pmach Virgin Detailer

Protecting the leather is also key to maintain its looks.

7. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

You would be protecting the coating and not the leather itself.

8. Pureshine

Thanks everyone for the help :)

9. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

This may be just me imagining things. But I have noticed that after I apply conditioner to treated leather, it does seem to be softer and look nicer. I know there's not much real evidence for it, but that seems to be what I've experienced.

10. hamza7

hamza7 Welcome to Detailing

But...these new leather coatings coming out. They claim to make leather cleaning easier and less colour transfer. What about them?

11. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

But is it the leather that feels softer or are you feeling the product on the surface that makes it seem softer? Look nicer how? I don't know about you, but I like my leather to look and feel the way it was new. ;)

Use water based cleaners regularly and a protectact to help fight against dye transfer. Leather Masters is my go to.

12. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

My Clients like different things on their leather surfaces.
    Some like it slippery, some like it grippy, all like it softer and more pliable.
    All want the front seat Side Bolsters protected with something to help cut down on the wear from hitting the bolster coming in and getting out of the vehicle. I see this a lot on BMW Msport and Sport seats, which are probably the same seat with just a few changes..
    All want it to be UV protected if possible, especially the Convertible crowd.
    Some like a "leather smell". Some like no smell. Some just like the smell of the clean leather coated surfaces
    Since I am serving the Clients, I have to deliver what they want/like, within reason.

I will clean with a PH balanced leather cleaner and/or Steam through a white towel, and then apply the Conditioner asked for.
    I have narrowed it down to pretty much 4 that I use frequently and a couple way less infrequently.
    Dan F

13. DAC17

DAC17 Virgin Detailer

So what products would you use to minimize the color transfer from jeans? This is a big deal on light gray seats.

Thanks.

14. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

DAC17 -

For my Clients that have the Dove Gray Leather, White Leather Interior, or Tan Leather Interior, I have had good results with Leather Master Leather Protection Cream.
    Phil sells it here I believe..

Have never seen or found a product that says it is expressly made to protect surfaces from Jeans transfer, but then I dont have time to do all the Internet research some do..

I am just glad that I can remove all traces of Jean color transfer pretty easily. I believe last time I did a Lincoln Navigator with white leather, it was the hardest job to get the blue jean transfer out and not hurt the coating on the leather, but I go it out eventually..

Dan F

15. DAC17

DAC17 Virgin Detailer

Thanks much. Very helpful!