Thoughts on ONR

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by 911Fanatic, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Don

Don Banned

I use it all the time, being it Connecticut I'm in the same (cold) boat at you.

I would recommend using a microfiber rather than a sheepskin mitt. The reason being is that microfibers are easy to clean, where the mitt will inevitably have dirt embedded in it that you cannot remove. I also use a two bucket method because depending on how dirty you car is you may have quite a bit of grime in the rinse bucket.

2. Denzil

Denzil Guest

This is exactly the reason why I use a grout sponge. I have found it to release dirt very easily, even without a Grit Guard (although I never use the two bucket method without it).

3. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I've got a Zymol sponge and hate it. I'll try a grout sponge and MF and see which I like better.
    Thanks for all the help.

4. bigpoppa

bigpoppa Jedi Nuba

If you are really concerned about marring, you could spray the surface down with a concentrated mix first (I dilute about 10:1 for this purpose). This is what I do when I use ONR.

Then, take your mitt (BTW I greatly prefer MF mitts for this, sheepskins aren't that great with ONR IMO) and wash it like you normally would. I do roof, windows, side panels, hood, fenders, , rear end (be it trunk lid or tail gate), then bumpers in that order. I do the wheels/tires/wells first.

5. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

If you can find the "Pro Line" grout sponge at Lowe's, buy a couple. They're only like two bucks, and they're great. I did the CD test with them, and no scratches. Just the right size as well.

6. Denzil

Denzil Guest

No problem Ken, any time. :)

7. matrix_808

matrix_808 DB Supporter

Why do you hate the Zymol sponge? I love mine, its the softest thing out there and only a couple bucks more than a GS and it lasts a long time.

8. 911Fanatic

I personally find it doesn't glide across the paint as nicely as lambswool and the fact that if you do happen to get a piece of grit on it, there is no way for it to pull the grit away from the paint. At least with a lambswool mitt, the grit can be pulled up into the nap to keep it away from the paint. Just my opinion.

9. dogma

dogma Guest

I'm in CT also. I use a mirco fiber instead of a mitt or sponge I think there is less chance of marring. When my car is really dirty I use ONR then ONE from CG. I use ONE a lot , only thing is you use a lot of MF ( but garage sure smells nice after). I have also experimented with adding Zaino Z6 or Z8 to ONR and it works great. I also use Z6 and Z8 as a NR by themselves and they both work great.

10. matrix_808

matrix_808 DB Supporter

ya i see thats everyone's worry about using a sponge, but IMO the grout sponge will be the exact same, only i feel better about using the zymol sponge because its 10 times softer than a grout sponge. so for those who like grout sponges....try a zymol sponge.

i used to love lambswool mits too, but it falls apart soo much faster than the sponge. I used to find myself replacing them every 1-2 months. is this the normal life expectancy of lambswool mits? My zymol sponge has probably lasted close to a year now and never had issues with the zymol sponge causing any marring.

11. bigpoppa

bigpoppa Jedi Nuba

911, do you have a Target around you up in Canada?

12. Paint Protection Orlando

Paint Protection Orlando Detailers Advertising Scheme

911 Thanks for putting this post up.

I will be using ONR in the near future.

With the current economy I am forced to change the way I do things for a while.

I am going to start offering a Executive Express Detail, I'm going to hit as many office parks and doctor's offices as I can.

The service will consist of :

ONR wash
    Spot clay
    Polish
    Wax
    Vaccum
    Windows in & out
    Dress tires and wheel wells
    Wipe down interior

I'm going to charge $160.00 US

Leather treatment $40.00

AC Clean with 1Z Klima $40.00

I can accomplish this in under two hours and do multiple cars in a day.

This won't be my best work but I guarantee it will be better than the ghetto detailers in my area that charge the same price and do a terrible job

That will lay the ground work for me to get more full correction details .

I would rather do full correction details but I have to roll with the punches .

I'll let you know how ONR works for me.

:gidiup:

13. jake_b

jake_b Obsessive Detailer

ok.. what happened to the ONR? every1 is talking about sponge/mitt. Oh well. I like sheepskin mitt. LOL

I dedicate this post to those who are scared of the ONR wash.

My technique to ONR Washing:
    1. Pre-rinse vehicle with water preferably with soap mix ex: gilmore gun/foam gun with ph balance soap. may use your local do it yourself car wash and rinse with high pressure soap+H2O mix (if no water access)
    * make sure rinsing well exterior, undercarriage, & etc...
    * never ever ever ever use the brush accompanied in the car wash station
    * if using local do it yourself wash station, depending on your car LSP, the soap+h2o from this wash should not strip off protection. the soap they use on this are like your local automatic carwash soap which strips off wax protection ( I use Klasse Combo + 3M wax & it's very durable IMO)
    * if your LSP fails, then your LSP s*cks. period. don't fight me on this. LOL :peace:. accept it that it's not good. it should not fail especially now it's winter.

2. Rinse with just H20 to get soapy residue off.
    * you don't have to dry vehicle
    * this rinse procedure helps in getting off loose grits and dirt prior to ONR wash. every little bit helps not to induce scratches and marring

3. Drive back to in garage.

4. Fill wash bucket with with ONR with appopriate ratio to 5 gallons of water
    * bucket should have a grit guard
    * run water in the bucket in order for ONR & water to mix well.
    * put wash mitt/sponge in the solution and let it soak and absorb solution for a a couple of minutes.

5. Fill rinse bucket with 3 gallons H20
    * bucket should have a grit guard

6. With the soaked mitt, start on the top of the vehicle working your way down. do sections at a time. wash by simply just gliding the mitt side to side or back and forth without putting any pressure.Use only the weight of the mitt or sponge.
    * do not squeeze out the solution back to bucket and out of the mitt or sponge. you like to keep it very wet for lubrication. let the solution drip and run thru the paint. this helps to prevent you from marring your finish
    * you don't want to put any pressure on the mitt/sponge while gliding it in the paint because if there are any grits underneath it, you increase the chance of scratching/marring the finish.
    * do not pass by the same area twice. this would increase chance of putting the dirt back to clean area. always rinse the mitt/sponge and i mean all the time and squeeze out solution from rinse bucket back to rinse bucket. you don't want the dirty solution back to the wash bucket
    * go over area again to ensure that it's clean.
    * you don't have wipe the care dry now. you're forgetting that you're inside your garage, there is less chance of water spots because of the shade. you can wipe away the solution later.
    * if you don't have a garage. wipe dry immediately with aid of QD (it's cold out there and windy too)
    * wash all areas you normally wash during your normal car wash
    * wash wheel, rims, wheel wells last & with separate mitts
    * the 5 gallons of solution should be enough to do a full size sedan. you can use more if you want

7. you can go over and ONR wash the car again after the first wash. (optional) i usually do.

8. Drying vehicle: Spray sections of vehicle with your favorite QD and wipe with MF drying towel.

This is my technique of course. You don't have to follow it if you don't want to. And to others, i hope it's helpful to you. :headbang:

Thank You! :thud:

Comments and criticisms are always welcome.

14. 911Fanatic

I know. Lambswool is by far the nicest for washing cars but they don't last. I've got one from Werkstat that I've been using for about 6 months. I use it three or four times a week and make sure I rinse it out well with fresh water and hang to dry. Squeeze the water out, don't wring it. Then I put it on my hand and spin it around until all the nap is nice and fluffy. I've been experimenting with a $10 sheepskln mitt from Simoniz that I got from Canadian Tire and you know, it ain't half bad!

15. 911Fanatic

Sorry, have to cross the line for that. What have they got that I don't?

16. Denzil

Denzil Guest

I would presume the Vroom product line. Their stuff is decent for OTC.

17. 911Fanatic

I have to say guys, your responses have been amazing. I appreciate all the information. I never thought I'd get 4 pages of responses. Thanks.

18. musc

musc Jedi Nuba

I was skeptical about ONR too, but having used it, I was rather impressed. It's almost like Voodoo! I feel like I am cheating the car wash gods when I use it, but it actually does work quite well. I used 1oz of ONR per 2 gall of water as instructed. I still used a rinse bucket with grit guard, but its supposedly not required. I always feel safer using a rinse bucket. I just dried with my normal waffle weave drying towels.

I tried both the sheepskins mitt and a blue Lake country grout sponge I picked up from Detailed Image. I like the feel of the sheepskin better, but the grout sponge is simple to clean. Last time I did one half of the car with the sheepskin and the other with grout sponge. Both worked well with no marring. If you use a sheepskin mitt, dedicate one for ONR use only. Easy way to clean the sheepskins is spray some P21S TAW on it right after washing the car with ONR, and agitate it under the sink with some warm water. Looked good as new.

I was scared about marring too, but I checked each panel under mutliple lights, and saw no evidence of marring! Albeit my vehicles are never that dirty, the ONR did remove dried pine tar with no effort or heavy pressure required.

Jake_Bs write up was pretty good, though I don't do a prewash. I just spray the rockers with some QD strength ONR prior to wiping down to let it 'soak in'. That is if they are exceptionally dirty.

The only thing I did NOT like using the ONR was the wheels and tires. I just felt like it was too much of a mess dealing with the brakedust, etc. That is just a personal preference and there are some youtube videos of guys using ONR on wheels/tires with good results.

I don't have bad winters where I live, so I can wash normally year round. But I like using the ONR if its late at night and dark outside, and I get to the urge to clean my car, I can 'wash' it in the garage with ONR and achieve great results.

I have also been adding the ONR to my regular car wash as well for increased lubricity.

19. bigpoppa

bigpoppa Jedi Nuba

They have what, in my (pretty limited) experience is the best wash mitt for ONR. I seem to get the least marring and best overall ONR effectiveness with them. Here is what they look like (just to tease you :giggle:):

[​IMG]

Compared to your average MF:

[​IMG]

I *really* like them. They aren't the muppet head style mitt, but rather just an insanely thick and plush MF material. Something about them with ONR just works really well for me. Too bad you can't get any up in Canada. :sorry:

20. DG 501

DG 501 Jedi Nuba

Great thread!
    Bigpoppa where did you get that MF?