Thinking of switching to AQuartz

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by Max405, Jul 16, 2011.

1. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

the Uber Wool Duster is great!

2. mike aesthetica

mike aesthetica Jedi Nuba

Joe, I really think you are going to see next to zero difference using the Aquartz alone, compared to the 200 extra counterpart, booster etc.. items that are offered as well.

Physically, and objectively/scientifically, if a paint coating is to sit atop a separate high solid coating - there reallly isn't anything out there that will effectively provide any true "boost" in its claimed properties compared to using it alone.. especially considering these are "super siloxanes"(read: super polymer sealants - not true coatings like a urethane). It behooves the user to use it by itself... not that a "claim" of 12 h on the mohs scale isnt a clue to what "cow dung" is behind some claims..

My vote goes to AQuartz coating used by itself - and I am sure I am not the only proponent of that here.

3. Max405

Max405 DB Forum Supporter

Hi Mikey,
    So you are not buying the:
    But, Aquartz Premium is not sufficient enough coating to completely cover because it also has pin-holes.
    As AQuartz Premium forms the pin-holes from air pockets also,
    we require smaller nano-particles to cover the pin-hole of Aquartz Premium.

That is why we need to use AQuartz Titanium.
    AQuartz Titanium covers the smaller pin-holes of AQuartz Premium.

Ya know, you are probably 100% correct.

But I wanted to abide by the manufacturers suggested run plan. This way if it doesnt perform up to standard, then I got nothing to bitch about.

This stuff is coming off one night this week and I will put it on the way it is supposed to be applied.

By the way, we've had many humid, hot and crappy days here since I applied the AQuartz. One thing I've noticed - No hazing at all. I realize that I could get the same benefit with a straight sealant (instead of Carnuba) but at least this stuff seems to do what it supposed to do in that respect.

I still have high hopes for the AQuartz.

Thanks for all of your knowledge and experience. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is the best place on the internet.

Joe D.

4. mike aesthetica

mike aesthetica Jedi Nuba

I just know what is it in these items and what would make them effective. We had a little discussion on how even regular polymer sealants can reach the "nano" level. It's basically a size thing.

For Titanium, that would mean it would have to be something like a "pico" sealant(10-12) whereas these are nano 10-9. to fill in the tiny little holes that AQuartz left behind? versus just another coat?

Its good stuff though, certainly makes for great conversation. I think you might find that the coating alone is your "calling". But let us all know how it goes. I think some of the other guys are using the AQuartz by itself, no extras. And it is good to hear that part actually went awesome lol :D

5. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Bump -

Any updates?

These nano super sealants are interesting to me.

I'm curious to hear how easy/difficult it is to remove a fresh coat. I'm also curious to see how/if washing swirls are reduced.

6. DJBAILEY

DJBAILEY Birth of a Detailer

I haven't used Aquartz yet, but I think I am going to choose Aquartz for my own car. It is black and I like what Phil has said about it warding off water spots the best out of the new coatings. From the way I read the company's website you are supposed to use the black bottle coating first to seal and fill the 'pin holes' in the paint. Then use the red bottle coating to build up the film thickness and hardness, but the red bottle coating is porous with 'pin holes' just like the paint is so you need to layer the black bottle coating on top to seal those 'pin holes'.

So black (1-2 times), then red (1-3 times), then black again (1-2 times).
    I realize that one coat of the black is sufficient for 6-8 months, but to get anywhere near the 2-3 year claim you need to use it as a system. So that would be a minimum of 3 coats (B-R-B).

Can anyone estimate how many coatings of each type of coating can be had out of the $99 Titanium/Premium kit on a normal mid-size car? Can you get 2 layers out of each bottle?

To use the systems as directed it sounds like you may need 2 bottles of each to do it right. That is why I am only going to try this on my own car. This stuff would be way too expensive for customer's cars. It could potentially cost me $100 to $200 per car to to do the whole 'system'.

As for a single coat and done it is still expensive at $60 a bottle. I have decided to go with Wolfs Chemicals Body Wrap for my better than the normal 6 month sealant (BFWD,MPL,Zaino,Colli,FK1000p,AG HD) for say $50 upcharge. It is cheaper, get multiple applictions per bottle (expecting 10-15 cars maybe), just as easy to apply as Aquartz. I don't have any complaints with Body Wrap so far. Haven't had any of the problems with beading on softer paints like some have had on DW.

I plan on using Opticoat as a bigger upgarde for about a $150-$200 on top of correction.

I justr don't thinkl Aquartz is pratical to use for a detailer.

7. Max405

Hi,
    Not being a very patient person, I removed the AQuartz entirely. Dont go by my experience. I like easy. I found the Red Bottle to be quirky. The Black seems to be nice, but I blow dry my car so I like beading. This stuff doesnt bead, it sheds. When I use my blower the water scatters all over. Not good.
    I removed the AQuartz and applied 2 coats of PowerLock. I am very happy with every respect of that product. Especially the beading and smoothness. Nothing could be easier to apply and remove. When a manufacturer gets it right, its a blessing. Menzerna got it right with Powerlock. For me, there is no need to search any further for an LSP.
    Being a regular re-applier, I will probably apply every other month and keep it smooth with Prima Slick and/or ReLoad. Once again, this is not a knock on AQuartz at all. Basically, it didnt work for me because I didnt think this through properly.

One other thing I did learn through this... ReLoad and Prima Slick are REALLY nice products. They work well with Powerlock and neither one hazes at all. Love it.

Joe D.

8. bakchoi

bakchoi Birth of a Detailer

Is the Aquartz Nano Coating 40ML and the Aquartz TI the same thing on DD's site? If not, then looks like theres 3 different things. Aquartz Nano Coating, Aquartz TI, Aquartz Premium.......

9. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

that is funny, i love the sheeting.........yeah, you do loose the tight beading. but for me, using a blower and the fact I can chase it off the car front to back is a good thing.

10. Max405

The sheeting with PowerLock is a little better, not nearly as good as Glasur.

I am really beginning to like Prima Slick guys. It is really a NICE QD. ReLoad is nice too. But Prima Slick is the best I've ever used. No streaking. Good window cleaner. And, slicker than anything I've ever used. And, it stays slick until your next wash. ReLoad actually loses its slickness a little over a couple of days.

Joe D.

11. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Ive been on the fence about slick, im a Reload abuser and that product is slick, but if the prima is even slicker.......hmmm.