The One-Step Discussion

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Denzil, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Dannyk

Dannyk Jedi Nuba

Without trying to straying off track on this subject, but what kind of spray wax do you use Porta?

2. maesal

maesal Birth of a Detailer

For example, I did last week a black SL 500 AMG wich needed some love. I tried Flex XC 3401 + Sonüs white + PB Black Hole and this combo achieved:

[​IMG]

After this, a coat of Collinite 915 and the results were great.Other thimes I used polishes like 3M 09376 via rotary and then a wax or sealant.

3. gregk

gregk Virgin Detailer

I would agree with some of the others like Nica that use a med polish on a polishing(white) pad then lsp. Another thing to try is using a polish/wax like Poli-Seal as your lsp. This way it acts as your final polish and lsp, and allows you to use stronger initial polishes. I still would spray on some OCW to give it more protection though. This would give the customer good swirl removal in quick time as Poli-Seal is quick to apply.

For a true one step, Poli-Seal on a polishing pad would be a good one and I have used D151 now 3 times with good results. D151 is Meguiars new one step paint reconditioning system using the technology used in M105. I cleans, polishes and protects in one step. I bought a gallon of it to use "just in case". I usually complete 2+ polishing steps on every car I do, but I have used D151 for some special cases.

I used it for 2 catering vans that wanted the insides done, and just wax the outsides. Both vans were 6+ years old and had rust damage and lots of faded paint, so a multi step process would be useless. I used D151 on a white rotary pad at 1500 rpm and the results were great! I used some OCW to add more protection, but the D151 removed many swirls and were able to clean the paint very well. The customer was floored at the results and it did not take long at all to apply.

I also used D151 on a 1999 Cavilier.(SWEET RIDE!) The women was giving the car to her niece, but wanted it cleaned before giving it to her. The car was covered in DEEP swirls and the clear was Hard! Not wanting to do 2+ steps, I used M105 and followed by the D151 as my Med polish/lsp. Again I used OCW for added protection, but results were great for the time taken.

D151 would be great on large vans, RVs etc. that just need a "clean up" in one step. Even Meguiars says that it has very little protection, so following up with a spray wax or a quick hand wax, would be recommend.

4. MWAUTOPRO

MWAUTOPRO Jedi Nuba

I have been having a lot of luck with CG Revive mixed with M-Seal 70/30 mix, I have gotten 5 weeks(and counting) of good durability so far too. The defect removal isn't "great" but two passes and it is ready to be wiped off.

5. Jack the Cat

Jack the Cat Virgin Detailer

Wow...this is stunning! An incredible achievement using only a glaze. Maesal could I please have you comment on application (working time, etc?)

6. bigpoppa

bigpoppa Jedi Nuba

For most jobs, my favorite "one step" is HT-69. On some instances/paints, OPS works better. Both are used with an orbital machine and a polishing pad, and topped with OCW. 90% of my details are work like this.

I don't bother with paint correction unless the owner understands the effort on their part required to keep the finish in tip-top shape (these people are few and far between in WNY).

7. maesal

maesal Birth of a Detailer

Yes, the results were very good just for a glaze with cleaning abilities :yikes:
    You could see here the detail:

Mercedes SL 500 kit AMG (limpieza de pintura + encerado) - Forodetalles

The owner just wanted to improve the finish and protect it, so I used PB BH + Collinite 915. Maybe in a few months I'll remove the swirls.
    I applied a dab of BH in the Sonüs white pad and I worked the glaze in small sections with the Flex XC 3401 VRG. After applying it in the whole car I removed it and I applied straight away the wax.
    The shine was amazing:

[​IMG]

8. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

I use the 1 step machine polish by Gloss It and its by far the most versatile product in my arsenal. Its basically a blend of their different polishes and their synthetic sealant as well. It has abrasives from the Gloss It extreme cut compound, evolution cut polish and the polymer based sealant called Gloss Finish mixed in. I have been able to correct some serious defects using the 1 step and an orange cutting pad....but if I switch over to a black pad and jewel the surface on low RPM its just like using finishing polish and the left over finish is super wet.

Here is a CLS that I finished off using the 1 step machine polish via the cyclo and a white finishing pad. This is post polishing only, there is no LSP on this car.

Nice flake in the sun too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]