The HSV GTO (56k no way!!)

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by VooDoo, Jul 3, 2009.

1. yukon cornelius

yukon cornelius Birth of a Detailer

I never realized they marketed a GTO in OZ. I thought it was a Monaro?

2. VooDoo

VooDoo Birth of a Detailer

This is a HSV GTO (Holden Special Vehicles Holden Special Vehicles)

Ive cleaned up all the inner guards now and have started smoothing all the spot weld divits and ordered a TIG welder so i can start seam welding every single gap and seam. The Front K frame is getting boxed, seam welded then powdercoated like the rear and then should be able to get the engine back on it. Engine is getting dyno tested atm with the supercharger then will be painted Impulse blue alone with the gearbox. Bellhousing is getting polished and a custom carbon fibre tailshaft is coming from the USA. That will complete the drivetrain and i can start with the rest of the body work.

IM getting mini tubs this week and then its off for a Ali V8 Supercar drop tank, custom radiator/AC condensor/Heat Exchanger, PS and Oil coolers then body is shipped to Sydney for House of Colour underbody respray, custom wheelwells with carbon fibre trims and a special livery on the exterior.

Hopefully by Sept/Oct it should be ready to bolt back together. Then its time for the inside.....

3. VooDoo

Lower arms are 1/2 done. Boxed the spring mounts, notched the arms to allow for larger wheels and just have to smooth them off now and its off to powdercoating. Tubs are being done as we speak.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. badmatt

badmatt Birth of a Detailer

when i mini tub mine this winter ill be sending all my stuff out to get powder coated as well! Looks good VooDoo!

5. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

This needs a sticky as OCD Thread of the Year :applause:

6. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

I wish I had enough money to give my car the same treatment... someday :D

7. badmatt

Do certain parts at a time... its the best way honestly.

8. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

I do that already :)

9. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

Wow man that is beautiful

10. VooDoo

Its not about $$. Powdercoating is cheap, polishing is even cheaper but just takes time and some research. Best thing is you really cant stuff it up. No clear-coat to burn through, if you use too much polish compound just wipe it off. If you go too aggressive on a sanding wheel, just grab a lighter grade and go over it until you clear the marks up. When i started this car i was getting others to do the polish (fuel rails) but with under $30 worth of wet/dry papers and a $59 air tool with some scourer pads and i now do it all myself.

Learning to take things apart and put them back together without spare parts is a handy skill too. Ive spent less than $2000 on everything i've posted so far but i would have spend over 1000hrs on the car so far too. Ill get you some pic's of the tubs, inner guards etc.

11. badmatt

How much for the 8 rib pulley set up? btw?

12. VooDoo

$1000US in any colour you want. If your supercharged ill need some measurements for your front pulley to make sure we replicate it correctly.

Oh, and thats Delivered!

13. VooDoo

Found my decent camera so bigger update this time.

Inside front guard work started. This will be completely smoothed, spot welds gone and painted in 2 pac.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Other side
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Out comes 1.5" from the rears to fit those 20x10's and 295+ rubber.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And of course some shiny bits. This time the lower control arms from the front have been smoothed, polished, chromed and de-gassed. The steering rack shields from Difillpo polished and chromed as was the start motor cover....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And lastly the new rocker covers to suit the blower.

[​IMG]

14. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

Oh no, thats just a tease!! Lookin great!

I don't know that I have ever seen someone smooth their wheel wells...interesting!

15. badmatt

mini tubbed? or a BFH?

16. VooDoo

BFH?

Its a kind of mini tub. The area between the spring seat and the inner guard is removed and then dolly'ed over giving another 50mm or so. The lower K frame arms are also notched to allow a wider wheel.

17. badmatt

Big F'n Hammer lol

cool thats what i was thinking about doing with mine but i think the 275's will do just fine for my dyno queen...

18. VooDoo

Was some BFH action happening :D

275's fit stock, just need the right offsets.

19. mystickid

mystickid Virgin Detailer

Wow, you sure put a lot into the GTO.

Bet its a blast to drive.

20. VooDoo

Havent driven it this year yet. Its still being detailed :D