The benefits of a dash cam

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by v|nsan|ty, Feb 15, 2012.

1. v|nsan|ty

v|nsan|ty Obsessive Detailer

This video seems to have recently gone viral all over the interwebz. RFD forum apparently had an intense thread on it last night, with users posting up the tsx driver's home address and users driving to his potential addresses via recording on gopro/dash cams. Aforementioned thread has since been locked and deleted from RFD. 4chan has gotten a hold of this as well, and you all know how intense they can be over there.

[video=youtube;LptT_hGmQkY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LptT_hGmQkY[/video]

As you can clearly see in the video as they park on the shoulder, his brake lights are never activated. The TSX has 3 brake lights. For all we know his reverse lights could be disabled/not functioning as well. What do you guys think? Was it roll back or did the driver pop the car in reverse?

Local media in Toronto have already published an article found here

Quoted from the article
    "He does, in fact, have a lengthy rap sheet of Highway Traffic Act offences — 26 in four years — but most are for licence plate issues and speeding, and he has no criminal history. He believes police stop him more frequently than others because they are suspicious of a young man of colour driving a nice car."
    26 offences in 4 years! :yikes:

2. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Punk bitch.

3. Meticulous-Detail

Meticulous-Detail DB Forum Supporter

Staged accident, see them all the time. Purposely disable break lights/reverse lights to get rear ended.

4. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

I hope this punk gets what he deserves - a ticket behind bars.

5. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Saw this video on LiveLeak. I never saw the braking lights come on, which makes me think they were indeed disabled. When on LiveLeak, you will see a lot of videos from Russia. Looks like everyone there has a dashboard camera, and all very good HD quality.

Where can I find one of these? In the article posted above, the victim of the scam says he bought one for $40? Seems cheap...

6. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

You can get a cheap camera on eBay. A GoPro is around the $200 mark though IIRC.

I might end up getting one myself, simply for track days and for karting events. :p

7. SRT8Spartan

SRT8Spartan DB Forum Supporter

gopro ftw, what a @ss, hell get what he deserves.

8. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

go pro or blackbox

what is with birth defects RIGHT after getting into an accident and not pulling to the right, or pulling out of the way? I see it all the time, fender bender and people just hop out of their cars to talk about it. PULL OVER TO THE RIGHT! wtf, how hard is that?

Id be writing some fat V C Section 22500 tickets (obst. flow of traffic) and towing their cars........

what is worse, the sight seeing ass hats who slow down traffic for miles for a shrub on fire on the side of the damn road.

Unless your car is disabled get your SHIT off the damn road.

sorry, off topic, the video made me mad.

9. hamza7

hamza7 Welcome to Detailing

This is a good reason to get a dash cam, I also saw a video of a guy in Asia I think it was doing the same with his white gallardo hitting the driver behind him.

10. mrd0t

mrd0t Obsessive Detailer

I had mine on the other night and you can hear me honking then suddenly changing lanes as a drunk driver came into my lane without notice.

11. drew935

drew935 Auto Salon Works

Wow I can't believe some a$$hats. Makes me want to get a dashcam too. Luckily, I do have a loud horn. If they can't hear that, they're deaf as heck!

12. Gale Force

Gale Force Obsessive Detailer

Idiots! I'm really surprised one of them didn't end up like a fly splattered on a windshield of a passing car... seriously? It makes me want to smack the stupid out of them...

13. invaderzim

invaderzim Jedi Nuba

does anyone make a dashcam that is somewhat hidden? I was looking at one that mounts up near the top of the windshield and will store a time section after an impact of if you press a button (it stores the 30 seconds or so leading up to the event)
    but I don't want one that is going to make someone want to break into the car and I don't want to mess with taking it down and hiding it every time.

14. drew935

drew935 Auto Salon Works

15. v|nsan|ty

v|nsan|ty Obsessive Detailer

16. Meticulous-Detail

Meticulous-Detail DB Forum Supporter

17. invaderzim

invaderzim Jedi Nuba

I've considered this one: http://www.proofpronto.com/smart-black-box-dashcam-drive-recorder.html

or this one: http://www.cyanics.net/Itronics-ITB...froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle

I like the ones with the GPS and speed indicator too. I recently got pulled over and the cop claimed to have paced me at 60. I know I hit just north of 50 mph in a 45 zone but got nowhere close to 60 and he had next to no distance to actually pace me. He let me off with a warning so my not arguing with him paid off (and I'd have lost that argument anyways). But a ticket for 60 in a 45 would have been a bit pricey.

A couple months ago a sheriff deputy car drifted across the line in the lane right next to me and I had to swerve into a turn lane to avoid getting hit and I'm sure I would have also lost that argument if he had hit me. A dash cam would have proven that I was in my lane at the time of impact. But thankfully there was no impact as the turn lane was free as he drifted a good 2 feet into my lane.

18. Zookie

Zookie Jedi Nuba

dame in suprized no ones made any fun racist comments like all the other forums...

19. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

About this time I would be explaining why only PART of the video would have recorded......................"Kids" what do YOU think I would have done/said to him?? hmmmmmmm .

:kick2:

20. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

^^.. lol.

someone rams you with a car, its ADW, open fire my brothas........ J/K im not giving advice (strong disclaimer)