Tesla cool facts -

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by rfinkle2, Mar 7, 2011.

1. rfinkle2

rfinkle2 DB Forum Supporter

Guys and Girls...(Kyoshiro most likely knows this stuff of the top of his head) lol!

Reading about Dylan's detail on the Tesla made me think of a really influential inventor (Nikola Tesla), whose inventions were sometimes debated as stolen from some of the more widely known inventors of the times.

Below (taken from Wikipedia) are just a few cool facts about Tesla, both personal and professional.

Professionaly:

-Nikola Tesla Tesla's patents and theoretical work formed the basis of modern alternating current (AC) electric power systems, including the polyphase system of electrical distribution and the AC motor. This work helped usher in the Second Industrial Revolution.
    Because of his 1894 demonstration of wireless communication through radio and as the eventual victor in the "War of Currents", he was widely respected as one of the greatest electrical engineers who worked in America.[3] He pioneered modern electrical engineering and many of his discoveries were of groundbreaking importance. In the United States during this time, Tesla's fame rivaled that of any other inventor or scientist in history or popular culture.[

-Edison hired Tesla to work for his Edison Machine Works. Tesla's work for Edison began with simple electrical engineering and quickly progressed to solving some of the company's most difficult problems. Tesla was even offered the task of completely redesigning the Edison company's direct current generators.[26]

-Tesla claimed he was offered US$50,000 (~ US$1.1 million in 2007, adjusted for inflation)[27] if he redesigned Edison's inefficient motor and generators, making an improvement in both service and economy.[28] In 1885 when Tesla inquired about the payment for his work, Edison replied, "Tesla, you don't understand our American humor," thus breaking his word.[29][30]

Personally:

-Tesla engaged in reading many works, memorizing complete books, supposedly having a photographic memory.[21]

-Tesla may have suffered from obsessive-compulsive disorder, and had many unusual quirks and phobias. He did things in threes, and was adamant about staying in a hotel room with a number divisible by three.

-Tesla was obsessed with pigeons, ordering special seeds for the pigeons he fed in Central Park and even bringing injured ones into his hotel room to nurse them back to health

2. Adam's Polishes

Adam's Polishes DB Certified Manufacturer

I do believe the inspiration behind the car name/badge is the man.... or at least his stigma as it associates to tesla coils and such, but I've never heard any of the Tesla people actually say that, I just assumed since it is an electric vehicle. It makes sense.

3. Cooter

Cooter DB Forum Supporter

This was a very smart man. He was also involved with the fabled Philadelphia Experiment also.