Teaser: You thought that Honda was bad...

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by TheRustySuper, Dec 24, 2010.

1. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

Alright, I'm tackling it today haha. Wish me luck everyone!

2. Bmer89

Bmer89 DB Forum Supporter

I've seen worse.... but good luck anyhow, you'll need it :p No need to pack a lunch for this one, you've got plenty to snack on! ;)

3. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

im really tempted to start charging a "kid" sur charge LOL ive seen a few of my cars come through that were just a disaster

4. stottie

stottie Birth of a Detailer

cant wait to see the results and process you use.

5. JC98

JC98 Birth of a Detailer

looking forward to seeing the afters.

6. TheRustySuper

Alright, it's finished! I spent as much time as I could on it, which was about 4 hours. The customer actually stuck around for the detail as well, which is something I don't usually allow but she's a good friend (although I may have been able to get more done if I had been by myself). I normally would clean the pedals, plastic in the trunk, door sills and some other stuff but I didn't have time, same with some spots on the seats. Since the customer was there she said some stuff was fine after just a quick go-over (like the trunk, which I could've easily spent at least a half hour more on). Normally I don't roll like that but there really wasn't enough time to get everything done, the amount of filth on this car was so immense. There was a lot of pet hair (even though no pets have ever been in the car) that took ages to get out, as well as some nasty stains and lots of dirt and God knows what else EVERYWHERE. I'm a perfectionist and could have easily spent a few more hours on it, but the owner was absolutely thrilled at the result, she was excited to drive her car because it was clean for the first time in her memory. Remember, this wasn't her mess, this was all her dad's, after 12 years of owning the car. Enough talking, I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story. I may upload some more later, the owner took some photos on her camera while I was working.

Process and products:

Vacuumed, and then vacuumed some more, and vacuumed again
    Megs APC 10:1 and 4:1 on everything, including carpet stains
    Stoner Invisible Glass on windows
    Raceglaze and other assorted brushes
    Chemical Guys Stripper Scent

I know its not as clean as I would like to have gotten it, but I only had 4 hours and it was really a mess. Just keep that in mind.

Before/during:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trunk:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Under the driver's seat. This was NASTY, food crumbs, french fries, sunflower seeds, hair and I don't even know what else.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Prepare yourselves. I decided to pull out the rear seat bottoms to clean a bit more thoroughly...after all, how bad could it be? Well...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was mold and stuff growing on all the papers under there, some of them had actually decayed and sunk into the carpet. It was horrible.

[​IMG]

Under the passenger seat, I found this. It was pink and I do believe it was strawberry yogurt.

[​IMG]

Nasty rear coasters:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Afters, sorry they are a bit blurred, I was in a hurry:

[​IMG]

Remember the nasty rear cupholders?

[​IMG]

Or what about that gross dried up puddle of yogurt? The Megs APC 4:1 killed it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the lack of gross soda stains here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Under the driver's seat, no more sunflower seeds/pet hair/food/unidentified gross things!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like I have said, not perfect but I think a lot better than before. And she's coming back this spring to have me detail the outside as well.

Thanks for reading,

Clark

7. Kilo6_one

total night and day difference! looks awesome.........
    that was totally nasty under the back seat.

8. Denzil

Denzil Guest

A huge improvement! Any thought to possibly steaming it? I bet you could get some better results. :)

9. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Insane how dirty that was under the seats. Nice job. If I were her, I'd look into a full replacement carpet instead of the detail.

10. ZoraDuntov

ZoraDuntov Virgin Detailer

The heat extractor should be able to get at least 50% more of that grime out of the carpet . Try amazing roll off on it if you can't get the extractor .

11. ZoraDuntov

ZoraDuntov Virgin Detailer

Did you miss the door jams ?

12. TheRustySuper

I didn't have time, and I will be doing them when I do the exterior of the car in the spring of next year. That's normally when I do them anyway, with the exterior of the car.

And yes, this car makes me want a steamer/extractor quite badly, I'm sure it could've looked loads better if I had one. I was still surprised at how well the Megs APC 4:1 worked on those soda stains, and that gross dried-up yogurt, both of which had most likely been there for several years. Once again, with more time and materials I could've made this car look a lot better than it turned out.

13. Trents_goat5.7

Trents_goat5.7 Jedi Nuba

Definitely a night and day difference.

14. JC98

JC98 Birth of a Detailer

Huge difference way to go!

15. TheRustySuper

The owner of the car read the thread, and requested me to write the following ;)

16. Kilo6_one

I think if you had a few more hours..... that car would look immaculate.

17. Tire Shredder

Tire Shredder Jedi Nuba

gotta get yourself a carpet extractor! give the interior panels a wipe down, even with soap and water next time to get dirt off the kick panels etc.

18. extrabolts

extrabolts Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Good job for the time spent. You could spend another 4-6 hours in that interior alone. Or, just burn the car to the ground.

19. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I still cannot comprehend how people let their cars get that filthy. Even if you're NOT into detailing, keeping a large investment such as a car clean seems like common sense to me.

In any case, very nice work cleaning it up!

20. WashingJosh

WashingJosh Jedi Nuba

Ditto. That was disgusting.
    Was the smell horrible?