Stillen G3 Intake Install

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by Joshs2013MSAltimaSL, Jul 31, 2011.

1. What's up guys! I ordered my intake about 3 weeks ago and now that I'm back from my wedding and honeymoon, I finally had time to install it. I had actually planned on doing it yesterday, but when I got home on Friday night I started removing the bumper and just didn't stop lol.

This isn't a big write up; but I did take a few pictures along the way.

Removing the bumper=super easy (1 man job).
    [​IMG]

I have these little wind deflectors in front of both front tires so I had a couple extra bolts to remove than the DIY said.

Here we have the stock intakes removed:
    [​IMG]

The dreaded "cutting" part of the install was super easy as well. I used a Dremel tool with a round sanding bit attached to it. I went with this versus a cutting type tip because it was easier and made the hole cleaner and was much safer around the AC lines. Here is the tip I used. This picture is AFTER I cut the holes...that's the black junk you see on the tip:
    [​IMG]

Here is the hole after I enlarged it:
    [​IMG]

Got the passenger side installed first:
    [​IMG]

Here are the final shots with everything installed:

Driver's side:
    [​IMG]

Passenger's side:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all, this was a super easy install. I did not use the instructions provided in the box, but instead followed AK370's (370Z forum) write up which was very detailed and easy to follow. Also, resetting the windows and clock took like 2 minutes to do once the battery was reconnected.

I only took it for a quick test drive, but the sound and performance were definitely improved. I would recommend this to anyone who's looking for a great mod. Reasonably priced and very easy to install.

Questions and comments welcomed!!

2. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

nice install there.

I bet you are looking foward to disassemble everything just to clean the filters ... lol.

3. Haha yeah! The bright side is that these filters are good for 50,000 miles...at least that's what Stillen said. The bumper takes like 20 minutes to take off and put back on..so it won't be too bad. Now I have to decide what's next on the list to do...

4. StuLax18

StuLax18 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Looks good! I know there was some drama surrounding these about their reported vs. actual gains. How does it sound with them being on the other side of the radiator? I have the Stillen intake on my DE, and I can hear it sucking in air very easily.

5. You know...there is ALWAYS going to be drama...kind of ridiculous if you ask me. People installed these and then did dyno runs to see what gains they actually got...some were very good and others were just slight gains. Every car is different and no two dyno runs are exactly the same. The bottom line is that these intakes provide more power and better fuel economy.

They sound absolutely great in front of the radiator; like a beefy V6. They sound especially good in the higher RPMs. In fact...even my wife noticed that my car sounded different.