Spring Detail (1st Phase): Engine Detail

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by akimel, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Ch40t1c

Ch40t1c Obsessive Detailer

This thread was really helpful but I'm still a bit scared of doing an engine and had a few questions.

First off, I'm kind of scared that when rinsing the engine bay, that I'll flood something. Is this fairly hard to do? Anyone have a video demonstrating a good way to do it?

Second, how long does Meguiar's HD last typically? (Diluted 3:1)

2. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Call me any names you want but I am scared out my mind when it comes to cleaning my engine. When I did my detail I just cleaned anything that could be reached with a brush and towels to clean up the APC. Just knowing my luck and how VW's are I can see it ending pretty bad. I did clean up alot of gunk but does not look anywhere near what you guys are posting.

3. Ch40t1c

Ch40t1c Obsessive Detailer

I'm on the same boat with ya, considering it won't be my car (since I don't own one -.-) that I'll be doing I'm really afraid of what might happen if I screw something up.

4. tin

tin Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I say, warming up the engine for 1 minute is exactly what you should do. What you don't want is a hot engine after you just get home from a long drive and then spray cold water on it. A little warmth will help the cleaner do it's job and will help engine grease dissolve better without cracking a head or anything. Nice lookin' engine bay! I just hate that they salt the roads in Cleveland and now they use Chlorine on the roads. It turns all the little metal pieces in the engine bays white.