Spots on paint?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by sal329, Oct 7, 2011.

1. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

I was asked by a detailer at the dealer for some help on a car. There are these small black dots, maybe tree sap, on the clearcoat that are ROCK hard. I tried to clay them off but that didnt budge at all, the only thing to get these off is to pick at it with my finger nail. Any helpful tips or ideas? :shead:

2. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Isopropyl Alcohol applied per spot via Q-tip. Let it dwell. Bulldoze it with a plastic razor blade.

3. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Could be Artillery Fungus, a nice little plant that launches itself on anything that is bright colored more frequently than dark colored. Here in the Northwest, its small dots, sometimes dark brown, sometimes darker. It will attach to the paint and somehow get down into the paint in such a way that if not removed quickly, it may never come off completely. I see it a lot on vehicles that park next or close to compost piles, the woods, etc..
    The only thing I have found that will come close to removing it is Goof Off Professional Strength, sold in a little metal can at Home Depot in the Paint Section, or at Auto Body Shops and a Q-tip..
    Be careful, I dont like to let it dwell very long before I rub it with a dry Q-tip and see if its moving off. Will require a wax,sealant, etc, over the area/s when done because the product will remove whatever was on there...

Good luck with this.
    Dan F

4. DJBAILEY

DJBAILEY Birth of a Detailer

Sounds like tree sap that has been there a long time and is sun baked hard. Prepsol may work as well as the others mentioned

5. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

Well they decided the bodyshop will take care of it. We shall see, maybe I can get more work lol

6. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

That's not a good sign. :/

7. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Wow, what can the Bodyshop do, except to sand/scrape it off and then apply the swirl-o-magic treatment to the paint ! :)

If they are not really good about removing swirls, etc., you WILL be seeing them again, to remove the s-o-m afterglow ! :)

Good luck !
    Dan F

8. mrd0t

mrd0t Obsessive Detailer

Any pictures of this? Rail Dust?