Spacer for Makita

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by Reflect, Jun 30, 2009.

1. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

I'll post up pics as soon as I get them!!!

2. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

Cool can't wait !!!!!!!!!!!!

3. lonewolf525

lonewolf525 Jedi Nuba

hey guys what type of threads are the most common for the rotaries like, metabo, makita, dewalt, and flex.

i thought most of the rotaries were 5/8 thread. i have a friend that is a machinest and wanted to ask him but would like to know on other threads for different machines.

4. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

US ones are 5/8ths. as far as I know.

5. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

5/8 UNC for most all US rotaries sold here..like the ones you listed. In Europe they have M14 I think as the thread size, but wont see that in the US unless someone imported one with a metric spindle.

6. lonewolf525

lonewolf525 Jedi Nuba

also forgot to ask what lengths are what most people are looking for? 2, 3, 4, inches long? or longer?

7. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

4 inches would be the absolute most I would go. The spacer I have is just under 3 inches, and works perfect.

8. Got Wax

Got Wax Banned

I just just yesterday with a local machine shop to make a 1" and 3" jig for my Festool machines!

Andy

9. lonewolf525

lonewolf525 Jedi Nuba

i forgot to ask what type of metal is going to be used for making the extensions? any specific grade of metal?

also what is the highest revs. a detailer would go for compounding, polishing, glazing with these extensions?

10. lonewolf525

lonewolf525 Jedi Nuba

well guys i ordered four extensions. i got one of each 1,2,3,and 4 inch. i asked the guy if he could do slots to use with an adjustable wrench when tightening to machine and backing plate. i will post pics of them when i get them.

11. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

Post pix. Available sizes and cost. Thanks!

PayPal :afro:

12. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

I think a 2" and a 3" would be great. At least thats what I would want.

13. rwisejr

Same here !!!!!!

14. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

The 3inch is a little long... I'd love to have a 1" and leave it on all the time...

15. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

where are we with this? i woudlnt mind getting either 1 or 2" extension. maybe even 4"(could have used it for ferrari door flares/intake chanels)

16. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

Any word guys...

17. lonewolf525

lonewolf525 Jedi Nuba

Hey guys i just wanted to let you know that i got the extensions i ordered from the machinist. i will post pics of them tomorrow. i can tell this though, that the 1 and 2 inch extensions do not have any vibration at all. while the 3 and 4 inch extensions do vibrate a little so you would have to be careful if using the extensions at high speed. the two smaller extensions do not have a real issue with weight but the two longer ones are a little heavy if using them a long time. one more thing that i noticed with the 5/8 extensions is that the material used to make the extensions are a little on the thick side. Since the thread is 5/8 then i preferred to have about an 1/8 more thicker for added strength when being used. So i will post some pics tomorrow morning.

18. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

One thing to take into consideration is when putting a long extension on, such as 2+ inches that you are rotating that mass, BP, far from the polisher and you will start getting some vibration but the biggest issue you could run into is the added forces now on the spindle and increased wear on bearings in the spindle head. Dont know how much more but it is a factor and so is the changes of bad things happening if using a 4 inch extension...just don't see that going very well in my mind but then again I could be wrong. Just thinking of it as a high speed rotating mass on a spindle and the forces it has if you are pushing on the paint surface and not 100% flat. Over-thinking it prob anyways...:shead:

19. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

well 3 and 4" extensions should be use for specific purpose, not all the time IMO

20. rwisejr

Sounds great Let us know as I said I want a 1,2 and 3