Space Grey 335 Correction + Crystal Rock

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by d00t, Mar 1, 2010.

1. d00t

d00t Welcome to Detailing

Just finished this car on Saturday, as it was going to a local car show here in San Francisco Wek-Fest. When I did an estimate for the car, the sun was shining and it show mild RIDS on the hood and trunk, but almost NO wash induced swirling. This is due to the owner having IMPECCABLE washing habbits over the course of the entire 40,000+ miles the car has seen. It also helps the car was Space Grey ;).

But anyways, on to the detail! I got to Davis around 8am and started work right away, wheels first, of course.

Autoglym Custom Wheel Cleaner with various brushes. Tires and arches got APC 3:1.

It was mildly sprinkling when doing the wheels

[​IMG]

Then after I got done the passenger side, down pour:

[​IMG]

So, naturally, I stopped taking pictures. Luckily I had left my rain coat in the car from previous details, so I put it on, and finished the other two wheels and washed it as quickly as possible before pulling it in to clay.

Used Megs Mild clay. Contamination wasn't too terrible, worst was the front bumper (a given).

[​IMG]

Once claying was comlete I moved on to drying the car and then taping it up for polishing. Speaking of which, I settled on a two step process for the hood, and the roof pillars: 3M Fast Cut Plus on a 3M Green pad, followed by Menzerna Power Finish on a 3M Yellow pad. The rest of the car get spot compounding (especially around the door handels, roof pillar, and fender arches), and then followed with 3M Yellow Pad and Power Finish.

Bug gut etching on the hood:

[​IMG]

And Fender:

[​IMG]

Got about 90% removed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then there was the gloss black "B pillars" (if you could even call them that). With severe swirling on them (not many RIDS). These were corrected with two passes of 3M Blue pad and 3M Extra Fine Compound

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once the polishing was complete, I moved on to various things such as the exhaust tips.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The owner had a spare set of Matte Black Volk G-2's that were put on for about 500 miles than taken off. He wanted to put them on for the show, so I cleaned them up for him. First with an ONR wipe down, then sealed with Blackfire AFPP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the car was dusted before applying swissvax cleaner fluid, and then finally a coat of Swissvax Crystal Rock.

(The sideskirts are missing as he was picking up new ones to put on right before the show)

Slew of afters (no sun pics as it was cloudy all day in Davis):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

As always, C/C Welcome!

:peace:

Aaron

2. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

nice work Aaron!

3. TONY MONTANA

TONY MONTANA DB Forum Supporter

nice job aaron the car was finished with a nice looking GLOW to it

4. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

That's just fantastic.

5. BrendanS

BrendanS Welcome to Detailing

Looks great! Glad you posted about the set of Volks he has, I don't mind Rotas at all, but they don't belong on a car like that.

EDIT: WOOT lol 999th post!

6. Nikku

Nikku Jedi Nuba

Great work Aaron ! :)
    How are you liking CR?

BTW how are things with you? We need to catch up! Stay well bud.

Cheers,
    Nick

7. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Very nice work, Aaron!

8. matrix_808

matrix_808 DB Supporter

nice job. how you liking the CR?

9. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Nice work Aaron! I would have clayed the car outside while it was raining, haha.

10. Twisted007

Twisted007 Banned

not bad i like the cf look with the grey sporty.

11. d00t

d00t Welcome to Detailing

Thanks!

Thank you!

Thanks!

Thanks a lot!

Thanks, Nick! I like it a lot--need to use it some more to form a more formal opinion on it. Things are going good! Yeah, we do need to cach up soon!

Thanks!

Thanks, Brent! So far, love it!

Thanks Denzil! I did.. sorta ;)

Thanks!

12. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

where is side skirt? is it factory FMIC?