Smudges on vinyl convert top won't come off

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by jetblackZ4, Apr 10, 2008.

1. jetblackZ4

jetblackZ4 Birth of a Detailer

Hi. I was working on a Miata for a friend and it has a beige top. Vinyl, not cloth. It has some smudges on it that look like some grease or dirt got on it at some time. Not really dark but noticable. I'll try and post a pic with this.
    I have Ragg Topp cleaner and that didn't get it out. I tried several times and tried brushing it with a soft brush, a MF cloth etc. I let it dwell for 10+ minutes also. Then I tried Amazing Roll Off and still won't budge. I even tried some Simple Green at a 10:1 water SG dilution on a small spot and nothing. Perhaps slightly lighter but still there.
    Then only thing I can think is that something got on the top when it wasn't protected and somehow got absobed a little into the vinyl. The owner doesn't know what it is.
    Has anyone run into this sort of problem and does anyone have any suggestions that I can try to get this out.
    All thoughts and suggestions welcome.
    G

Attached Files:

2. Nica

Nica Banned

Only once have I done a convertable top and it wasen't a pleasent experiance either but the one I did was black and luckely everything washed a way.

I'm really interested to hear what others recomend to use as I personaly haven't done too many convertable vinyl tops.

3. richy

richy Guest

Just a suggestion..if ARO didn't work, I'd try (of course in the disclosure would be in an inconspicuous spot) using ARO on a magic eraser.

4. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

careful with the magic eraser....if its a vinyl top you may take the dye off....ME is abrasive...

it looks to some sort of grease smudge...and you may need a stronger degreaser type product..I would try a citrus cleaner...and do a test spot out of site....let the owner know that if he wants it removed you may encounter a lighter spot ..release your self of any blame....if he does not want it removed than better for you in the long run as removing the stain may cause a further spot....

did you try ARO full strength and use a little scrub brush or tooth brush yet...get a fingernail cleaning brush(great tool to have for many uses...good for spuring foam pads also) and try that..its s little stiffer than a tooth brush....

AL

5. jetblackZ4

jetblackZ4 Birth of a Detailer

Yes, I did try ARO full strength and coincidentally it was a finger nail brush that I used so we are on the same thought process there!!

I'll talk to him about the citrus degreaser and see if he wants to try that in an inconspicuous spot. The car otherwise turned out amazingly. He and his wife were very happy and now I'm doing another car for them.

Keep the ideas coming in the mean time and thanks for the help.
    G

6. Scott's Mobile Detailing

Scott's Mobile Detailing Welcome to Detailing