Should you fridge your waxes?

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by FMINUS, Feb 13, 2008.

1. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Do you store them in a garage that isnt temp controlled?

2. dengood1

dengood1 Birth of a Detailer

I suppose if I had a small fridge in my garage, which I plan on putting in there before this summer, then I would probably put the several tubs I have in there, simply for preservation reasons. They wouldn't take up very much space, so I'm sure I would.

3. agentf1

agentf1 Jedi Nuba

Which waxes shrunk?

I recently noticeed the tub my P Souveran came is is starting to baloon as if it is under pressure. The wax hasn't shrubk or anything but the bottom is balooned out and it no longer sits on a table properly. The lid is getting hard to remove and put on also. Wax still looks and works fine. Craziest thing I ever saw.

4. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

FWIW- An o-ring seal will render the contents airtight but heat will transfer via the polymer container

5. MikeyC

MikeyC Two Bucket System Washer

I don't have any Zymol right now, but I had some tubs that were 10 years old and I kept them in the fridge. Last I saw them except for being a little more empty than when I bought them they looked and performed as new.

6. SpoiledMan

SpoiledMan Birth of a Detailer

Still looking good even out of the fridge.;)

7. joep

joep Welcome to Detailing

after watching this thread for a while i got a little curious as to what my tubs of wax might look like after being stored in the basement for the past 2 1/2 years..

so i dusted of the tops and opened each tub .. Souveran,Max wax,Nattys blue,Nattys white,Megs #16 and Megs #26 each of the waxes are in the same state as when i purchased them 2 1/2 years ago....

i think most products have a shelf life of 2 years ..most likely they'll go beyond that when stored properly..after i'm done applying waxes in the summer months they go back to the basement..

most here have stepped up to some pricey products and i definatley understand your concerns and wanting to protect your higher end products..but if longevity is one of your concerns why not purchase what you'll use within a reasonable time..

8. dengood1

Oh definitely, sure the temps would transfer to the product. I only mentioned the o ring because it would lock in the moisture and not let the wax dry out. The o ring will definitely NOT protect the wax from heat. Sorry I wasn't more clear.:shrug:

9. dengood1

My Souveran tub got "bloated" too:shead: Same thing.

10. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

Funny you mentioned that...my Sov paste did the same thing...and it's hard to get the cover to thread on right...it takes a couple times..and the bottom is swelled also...now i keep all my waxes in my basement...summer time it stays 65 down thier...and I keep humidity at 65%...no other waxes did it ...and for winter time I tape all the lid seams for storage

winter its 72 down there and about 50% humidity....

Al

11. dengood1

Odd.......looks like Souveran is releasing some type of gas that is bloating the tubs. I had the same problem with a gallon of DP Gel Wheel Cleaner a few months ago(arrived in this condition)......smelled like rotten eggs, which I'm sure was sulfur. Maybe TOGWT can enlighten us??

12. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

I havent had any problems with my Souveran paste. Its been kept indoors for the most part.

13. LanceM

LanceM DB Forum Supporter

Just checked my soveran and no issues.

What temp areyou guys keeping it stored at. Mine is set to 64

14. blucpe

blucpe Birth of a Detailer

i keep mine in vegetable drawer of my frdge, i guess it's around 40 degrees, just guessing don't know exactly.

15. agentf1

agentf1 Jedi Nuba

Mine was always stored in the cool basement which is approx 65 degrees.

Yes, it really sucks trying to get the lid on or off anymore. I am guessing it is getting out of round due to the bloating. Craziest thing I have ever seen. Glad to hear it is just not me or my imagination. Would love to hear why it did this, Jon?