Shop-Vac® 5-Gallon 5.5-Peak HP Heavy-Duty Portable

Discussion in 'Sale, Trades, or Bargains' started by gmblack3, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Usjdmtuner

Usjdmtuner Wax on..Wax off

i love it.. didnt pay $40. paid $59 but it was worth it.. quiet and it sucks dirt pretty good...

2. richy

richy Guest

I've got an update on this machine. I was not happy with its wet vac capabilities..it was spewing water out the screw on cap for the blower function. It just did not seem as strong as the HP rating would indicate. For giggles, I called Shop vac and asked them about it. The lady said the stuff that comes with it is not really appropriate for wet vacuuming which is what I was doing a lot of. She then offered to send me a foam filter for inside. She in fact sent me 2 of them. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! In both wet AND dry vacuuming..if anyone else who bought this machine is not knocked out with it, get yourself a foam filter..it makes all the difference.

3. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

When you were wet "vaccing" did you take the filter out? The problem you were having i think is when the filter becomes saturated and the water starts going out of the side hole...i think if you tried to take the filter out and then wet vac (try putting some bleach water in the bottom before starting, this will also help with suction)...but since you have the foam now this might be directed towards those that dont have it...congrats on the helpful addition!

4. richy

richy Guest

That was my problem, the filter became saturated. I've never heard of the bleach thing before, that's interesting.

5. Mindflux

Mindflux Welcome to Detailing

Hrm. I haven't tried wet vaccing yet. Did you also change the direction of the 'redirector' plastic bit? (What slides onto the bag filter).. It's curved so it can face up or down.

How does bleach help with suction? That's a new one to me.

6. richy

richy Guest

I'm not sure I know what you mean. You mean the round plastic thing at the bottom of the filter that screws on?

7. m4gician

m4gician Birth of a Detailer

This is the vac I got, it went on sale and I snapped one up quickly.

[​IMG]

I also got the attached car cleaning accessory kit that includes these...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. joep

joep Welcome to Detailing

9. Mindflux

Mindflux Welcome to Detailing

No, right at the end of the hose (on the inside). There's a plastic piece that curves. Depending on which way you put it in it'll either curve up or down. I don't think you'd want the water to shoot upward toward the motor/filter.

[​IMG]

They call it an inlet deflector. This is the top view with the inlet facing down.

http://shopvac.com/pdf/parts-lists/5872411.pdf

#17.

10. richy

richy Guest

Thanks a lot for posting the pic..now I get it..I'll check it tomorrow.