Shiny Clear Coated Wooden Tables

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by vtec92civic, Jul 2, 2012.

1. GloomyX

GloomyX Birth of a Detailer

If you have to sand it, you just doubled your labour cost.

2. ACE2790

ACE2790 Jedi Nuba

Yah, sanding would take forever. Any luck with the wool and m105?

3. scheerspeed

scheerspeed DB Forum Supporter

Are you sure it's a clear coat and not a resin? I've made similar tables in my dad's restaurants, and it's a 2 part epoxy resin that is used.

standard clear coat polishes wont even put a dent in the resin like you said...

If it's the case that they are resin, your best bet may be to lightly sand them down and apply another coat of resin. However this would require disassembling the tables...

that resin (at least the one we use) is hard as hell, and i've tried taking my rotary to it and barely made any difference...

4. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

What do you suggest? Its epoxy, various companies said treat like a clear coat but i didnt achieve the results i wanted.

5. scheerspeed

I haven't had any luck polishing them... but then again i was just tooling around for fun to see if i could get them to be shinier...

Honestly, when we scratch them by accident, We get some more resin, lightly sand the surface using a high-grit paper, and apply another coat of resin... But for this you will need to know how to apply the resin, how to "melt" the bubbles out, and how to properly prep the area, because you WILL make a mess...

i know one thing for sure, re-applying resin will give you a perfect result in 1/2 the time it takes you to sand it down and properly finish each table...

6. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

I bet. Back to the drawing board for me as i need to figure it out today aa i have to submit a quote by tomorrow lol.

7. scheerspeed

Lol, If you need any Info as to how to apply resin or where to get it from, Let me know...

8. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

Well the thing is they don't expect perfection but being that i am hard on myself and have high standards i worry about me being happy with the outcome too. I don't want to feel like i failed in the end if that makes any sense.

9. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the result of about 15-20 minutes of polishing using:

PCXP
    Uber Yellow Pad
    Menzerna SIP

I may need to step it up and use a rotary. They are not expecting perfection they just want them to look better, it's more so myself that is looking for superb results. They were happy with the way it looked but we talked about possibly going a little more agressive to see if we can take it up a notch.

Any other input would be great as i need to turn a bid in by tomorrow.

10. ACE2790

ACE2790 Jedi Nuba

Picture fail. If this resin is as hard as they say it is, these scratches have to be surface marring.

11. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

12. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

A bit deeper then marring. My cell phone was able to upload the photos but my pc couldn't, thats sad.