Scholl Concepts review

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by JLs Detailing, Jul 31, 2008.

1. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Ok I have been wanting to try out some Scholl Concepts polishes for a while now and as you know we don't have a supplier here in the States. Well to my rescue came Ketil (pirex) at ScandicShine http://www.scandicshine.no/. Like I said in another thread if you need something from across the pond Ketil can usually hook you up. His customer service is the very best in the business and whats even better is he knows detailing and can help you out with what you want.

Well pirex knew I was interested in these polishes and let me know as soon as he had them in. He said he had a kit that I would probably be interested in and boy was he right. I got the kit and man is it chocked full of goodies. He had also sent me a file with a brochure from Scholl Concepts to help explain and instruct on their pads and polishes. Well heres what comes in the kit:

S17 Polish - This is their mid cut polish and reminds me of SIP or IP from Menz. The kicker with this though is that they recommend using it with a wool pad (included) to do some cutting and then using the same polish with their black finsihing pad (also included) to finish and amp up the gloss. Oh and it works just like they describe!

S40 Polish - This is their Nano finishing polish. This product really amps up the shine and can get rid of any marring or hologramming from previous polishing. Strange thing about this polish though is that they only recommend using their orange pad which is like our white pads with it and discourage using a finishing pad with it. I did use a finishing pad with it just to see and it worked really well for me.

Wool Pad - These pads are like the 5 1/4 pads in size and work really well. They have this awesome backing to them that has a very thin foam layer between the pad and the hook and loop. This pad is used for cutting.

Blue Foam pad - This is used as a cutting pad and looks to be equivalent to what we use orange pads for.

Orange foam pad - This is a polishing pad much like our white pads.

Black foam pad - This is the finishing pad and it works and feels great.

Backing Plate - This is like the 3M backing plate with the foam layer. Only problem with this is I need a M14 to 5/8ths adapter to get it to work form me. I can't wait to get the adapter so I can try this bad boy out. All testing was done with my 3M backing plate.

Polishing cloth- This thing feels awesome and is really thin.

Bag- A nice little cooler that doubles as a bag for the products.

Now I used these as soon as I got them on a rather hideous scratch on a clients door. I started with the S17 and a LC CCS orange pad ( I was saving my Scholl pads for the next days detail which I will have up shortly). It knocked the scratch right out and then I took the S40 and a black finishing pad and just amped up the gloss on the paint! Now in my excitement to use the products I forgot the camera, damn it! Well I got to use the full kit the next day. Now it was about 100 degrees outside and 90% humidity and the polishes did not act up either day. Heck on the next days detail it felt like 175% humidity and I never had a single problem. The only dusting I got was from using the S17 and the wool pad other than that polish pad combo I never got any dusting which was a huge plus for me.

Now I had the opportunity today to try and remove some scratches from a passenger door of a Suburban today. The client only wanted me to try and remove those scratches and not all the swirling around it so thats what I did, so don't hang me up because there are still swirls in the paint after removing the scratches. The scratches were pretty bad and I wasn't sure how they would turn out but it came out really well. I used the S17 with a the wool pad and then the S17 with the finishing pad and this is what it looked like:

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

In my upcoming show and shine you will get to see what all the products can do including the phenomenal S40! I can't say enought about how well these polishes perform and they exceeded my expectations and the only product to do that so far has been Rubbish Boys OE so you can imagine my excitement about the Scholl Concepts. I have to give a HUGE Thanks to Ketil for keeping me in mind and helping me out as soon as he got the kit. He literally sent it out the day he got them. I mean how is that for Customer Service. These polishes have replaced my Menzerna as far as I'm concerned and I'm wanting to try more of their line and as soon as ScandicShine gets more of the line in I'm sure I will be. Sorry for the lenthy post but I am soooo stoked about these polishes that I have used them for 3 straight days in some shape or fashion. Keep and eye out for the show and shine with them. Here are some pics of the kit itself and its contents:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh and how about Ketil hooked me up with this killer sticker that I promptly put on my Jeep

[​IMG]

2. richy

richy Guest

JL..looks like some cool stuff there. The 17 sounds like X3 where it can be used with wool followed by foam. I need to use my X3 more than I have. Glad you liked the stuff and kudos to Ketil for taking care of you.:cheers:

3. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Great to hear your review JL! So how much did that kit cost you? :)

4. Cooter

Cooter Guest

I've heard of Scholl products and have read that its a good alternative to Menz line, but have read that its hard getting in contact with them and they dont update their site to often (CG anyone).
    Nice review JL. Looks promising!!!

The bottles kinda remind me of AXE bath soap bottles hehehe Maybe its just me!

5. JLs Detailing

Denzil as bad as this sounds I'm not really sure. I haven't seen my CC statement yet and I told Ketil that I wanted it regardless of cost (to a point) so he sent it on out to me. I don't mind Ketil going public with how much it cost me so others will know. I do know that I told him if this product was as good as advertised then he needed to do a group buy!

6. Divine Detail

Divine Detail DB Pro Supporter

Scholl makes some great products from what I've experianced in my limited usage of it.

7. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

Thats a clever way to use a lunch bag. I feel another impulse buy coming on :whistle:. One for Scholl products and that lunch bag :gidiup:

8. JLs Detailing

Oh crap I almost forgot I got this too:

[​IMG]

This thing works incredibly well. Its really soft and holds a ton of suds...me likey!

9. pirex

pirex DB Certified Dealer

You paid around 150 dollars for it. I will also stock single bottles, more pads and more of their compound and polishes.

But if someone is interested in a group buy, we could find a better price.

Great review JL, can`t wait for the show and shines :)

10. Smith2287

Smith2287 Welcome to Detailing

JL,
    Great review man now I am interested in that kit also. If a group buy pops up I would be very interested!!! That swissvax wash sponge looks interesting as well!!!!!

11. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

NICE!!! My scholl kit JUST arrived at my desk like 5 minutes ago.. IAM REALLY excited to try it out!!!

12. Dream Machines

Dream Machines Jedi Nuba

Great stuff, I think it was porta who told me about the scholl gear

Now I don't want to seem negative and I'm not trying to be

For me, unless these offer an advantage over Menzerna, G Techniq p1 and all other top quality abrasive polishes that we currently use, I see no point in using them as well.

I've bought tens of thousands of dollars worth of products over the last decade and I've thrown out a heap of products, some that as recent as 2006 at the time were top notch

They've now become obsolete, used up and binned or handed down to friends

I don't want to be using more than five brands of abrasive polishes

Currently I have Prima, Driven to Perfection, Menzerna, GTechniq P1 and Hi Temp
    Just about used up the last of my Sonus SFX

Along with that are the non abrasive products
    GLARE Australia products, Toughseal step 1 and 2, Ultra Gloss from Germany, Driven and a couple more for special use

13. JLs Detailing

Well the main advantages I saw were that in almost 100% humidity I had not one single problem with the polishes (which is the norm for Menzerna). Also when using it as a cutting polish I got nowhere near the dusting that I get from Menz. IP or SIP. So those two advantages are coincidentally two of the biggest complaints of Menz. so that would be the point of using them.

14. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Ive used Menzerna in 85%+ humidity and 90*+ without problems. Cold temps are another story however. JL, you do your polishing in the garage right? Do you rewash the car after polishing?

15. JLs Detailing

Yeah I polish in my garage but I forgot to turn the AC on the night before and if I don't it will not cool it down enough to work with the doors shut. That is the best when I can do it with the AC on and doors shut as I have practically no humidity. As far as washes go I will if it is really dusty, if not I just do a prep sol wipedown.

16. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

Have you tried Presta, It also works quite well in humidity. I also has little hazing. Just a thought, glad the Schol worked out, pics are nice.

17. D&D Auto Detailing

How were you applying the polish when you had problems with Menz (on the pad, on the paint, etc.)? How many different cars did you experience these problems on?

18. JLs Detailing

Applied exactly like I did with the Scholl's and have had it happen to me on 3 different occasions but have heard others that are very good at their craft have the same issues.

19. D&D Auto Detailing

20. porta

porta Jedi Nuba

Great review :thumb:

I have been using Scholl for over a year and they have some very nice compounds, thats for sure.

S17 is a keeper but S40 didnĀ“t do much and I prefere S30 over S40. S40 is comparable to Menzerna PO85RD and S30 is like PO106FF.

S17 is going to be upgraded and the newer version is much better then the old one. S3 is also a totaly new formula, think they are going to start produce it this fall. S3 is one of the best compounds I have used. The old one is very gritty and similar to Powergloss. The new version of S3 is runny and not gritty but it cuts fast with minimal dust and gives a very nice finish.