Rotary. Which one would you get?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by supercharged, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

I am just learning on the rotary and its been a dream, I have done many test panels and 1 full car and I am really starting to get the hang of it, definitely going to take more practice to be as good as some others on here.

So in short hell yeah for the makita! :headbang:

2. kenny1775

kenny1775 Jedi Nuba

Makita! :thumb::thumb::thumb:
    Makita! :kilt::kilt::kilt:
    MAKITA! :dbanana::dbanana::dbanana:

Seriously Dude... Get the Makita :afro:

3. cheeseenlo

cheeseenlo Birth of a Detailer

I'm a Flex user here. This polisher is a breeze to work with. The weight and ergonomics of this rotary was the reason why I got it.

4. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

thanks for all replys, guys!

5. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

Are you going to let us know when the big purchase is made...:thumb:

6. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

I have both the Makita and the Metabo and both are good but I always seem to be reaching for the Metabo. Like others have said the sheer ergonomics of it make it a joy to use. I like the Makita but it still seems like work to me sometimes especially in awkward positions. I have never had mine overheat but I do know that it is an issue that many have had. Its always nice to have two!!

7. supercharged

Not planning to make a purchase yet, after I get my CR Spotless...

8. supercharged

thanks, bro.

9. Nica

Nica Banned

Well I too have a Metabo and a Makita, I would like to add another rotary but frankly I'm quite pleased with my Metabo, it's my go to machine. There are some advantages and disadvantages to each machine (Makita and Metabo that is). So the following will be my point of view on each machine pros and cons.

Makita Pro's:
    • I enjoy the speed dial, easier to see the speed your running at and easy to adjust.
    • Triger is nice, as you can feather the speed to your choosing wile spreading the polish.
    • Does not over heat, it's a working horse keeps on going and heat does not bother it at all.

Um..that's all the Pro's I can think of at the moment, I know there are more Pro's but I just can't think of them at the moment :shead:

Makita's Con's:
    • The weight can be an issue but I feel it's one of those things that over time the weight is no longer an issue because you get used to it but just thought I point it out.
    • The handle pease on the Makita can be a tad anoying, on regular panels that have lots of space the Makita handels well but on tight areas the handle can be anyoing. Now you might be saying, no biggie you can just remove it. Well thats true but I've noticed that the head peace tends to get worm and when it does you can't place your hands on it for too long, specially when it gets a bit more then worm...more on the hot side.
    • On that note the size is a bit bulkier, but nothing that a bit of use and time get change.

Again just a few things I've picked up on, I'm sure there are more but again I can't recall them at the moment. Now keep in mind that I haven't used my Makita since mid last year (2008).

Now for the Metabo:

Pro's:
    • The shape/zise seems to feel better on your hands, the curves it has are well located to aid the user on a smooth application.
    • Light weight.
    • Soft start, not sure if this is a Pro though as most good machines come with the soft start but worth pointing out :shrug:
    • One thing I like about the Metabo is how easy it is to replace backing plates, the red button on top of the Metabo is well located to simply press and twist off the backing plate....but it can also work against you.

Now for the Cons:
    • Becuase it's lighter and the shape is a bit different from other machines ventilation was sacrificed on this machine, that's the main reason why the Metabo overheats. I've had my Metabo overheat several times but the fix is simple. The Metabo does not like the start stop process, if you continue polishing non stop meaning don't turn off the machine let it spin and spin and spin it will cool it's self down....just my opinion though.
    • The speed dial is a bit annoying, when you first start using it changing speed is a bit cumbersome, because the dial is at the other end of the machine but once you get the hang of it you'll be able to change speed with out even looking, you'd be amazed how your ears can distinguish the different speed sound.
    • Another thing that I noticed is that even though it's light weight, being light weight can work against it. What I mean is that because of the light weight you some times have to put more body weight on the Metabo, for me it's not an issue because I'm used to the machine but when your first getting started with the Metabo it can be painful to adjust/manage.

Well enough :bla2: :bla2: from me those are my opinions. I have been using my Metabo for a few years now and I'm very pleased with the Metabo, it feels good on my hands and for me it now acts like an extension of my arms when I'm detailing.

However, the Makita has it's advantages. The weight shouldn't be seen as issue, as you can use the weight to your advantage...so don't let weight be a deciding factor...the thing that I don't enjoy about the Makita is when your polishing vertical panels such as doors for example. See the size of the machine is what makes it feel odd on my hands, it's longer then the Metabo and for me the Metabo is easier to manipulate....it took me 5 vehicles to get used to my Makita but after the 5 vehicles I was very comfortable with the Makita and the vertical panels didn't bother me any more....but I can't seem to put my Metabo down so I just keep on using it, it's what works for me :shrug:

Well just sharing my experience with both machines, hope this helps.

10. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

I own, and love, a Makita. The controls are all perfectly placed - the speed dial is where it feels like it should be, the trigger is great, the lock button is great. Do the other machines "slow start" like the Makita does? That's a nice feature. The bail handle is also a favorite of mine - but you get a stick handle too, if you like those better. I also liked that it's got a reputation for being bulletproof.

I've picked up, but never actually worked with, a Dewalt. I know AR likes his a lot, but I found it too heavy. I imagine it's something you get used to.

I've also seen and held JL's Metabo. Looks like a nice machine. It could be just me, but my recollection is that it's a louder machine than the Makita. It could be just a difference in the pitch of the noise it makes.

I think someone else said it best. Pick one of the ones we've all established are "the good ones," and use it often. It'll be like an old friend in no time.

11. Ian

Ian Jedi Nuba

I have ben using the Dewalt for a long time and I just purchased a Mikita rotary, wow what a difference! Mikita is way better, smoother, lighter and has the bail handle for more option for holding it.
    Mikita FTW!
    I have also heard, the Dewalt is like and old school hot rod kind of buffer, the Mikita is the newer import car buffer and the flex is the best of both being the luxury german car of a buffer. If that makes sence?

12. wagonproject

wagonproject Jedi Nuba

I've used the makita for a long time. A lot of the time 6-9 hours a day in the bodyshop.

No complaints here, awesome machine!

13. supercharged

Thanks for replies, guys. Eventually I planning to have 2 different rotaries, but for now I'll be rotary newbie...I am seriously considering Makita as my first rotary...

14. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

I cannot of put it any better....

15. chefwong

chefwong Birth of a Detailer

it's a personal preference hot it FEELS in YOUR HANDS. IMO, I am buying a Makita as my go to roto mainly due to the trigger mechanisim. I like to feather on and off...

Currently have a Fein and Metabo roto. Also had a Flex 3403 which I sold

16. Nica

Nica Banned

Oh yea I forgot to say that the Makita seems to have a flaw on the electrical cord, where the cord enters the Makita. Seems that over time the connection fails, I saw this happen to Calgary's Makita....not sure if it has been pointed out before but I just remembered so thought I'd throw it out there.

17. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

Agreed, Very good point...It didn't take me long at to put a nice big kink in my cord. It was in the week that It happened but It has been fine even since but It doesn't look to good thats for sure. I wonder how much longer It will last...Aleast it is fixable...Good call on your part Nica...:thumb:

18. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

I'd recommend getting the Makita too. I have a Hitachi which is just about identical. Personally, I love the handle on it. I use it on almost every panel that I work on. It's especially useful since it's the perfect weight in my opinion. It's heavy enough that it'll push the pad down easily, and the handle is there for you to just guide it along. On the horizontal panels, I'm usually just pushing the polisher along with no added pressure.

I would like to try a Metabo someday mainly because I dislike polishing doors. Ones with slights curves are especially worse because I end up having to grip the head part under the handle to polish properly. The handle still serves a purpose because I push the top part of my hand against it. That part on the Hitachi does get pretty hot after a while, so I wear gloves to hold it.

19. supercharged

I right in between Makita and Metabo. I'll probably start with one, and add another one later.

20. Nica

Nica Banned

Hey super you know what you should do :devil: get a Metabo, if you don't like it I'll trade you my brand new Makita for your Metabo :whistle:

:poke: